food and water ok

was wondering if it is to eat off the street vendors and the water in most of the motels hotels ok to drink ,and eat and should a person have to worrie about were they eat or drink ,i know alot is common sence but hate to ruin a vaction because of food and drinki problems crazy.gif" border="0

I would suggest caution based on my experience. Yes, you will find guys who say they drink water out of the tap without any problems. But, I say stick with bottled water if you are visiting. I live here and am in the habit of boiling my drinking water. I acquired this habit from five years of living and working in Africa and it works for me. I brush my teeth with tap water though.

I have had food poisoning three times here in the LOS in five years. In each case I acquired it from a rather upscale eating establishment. I have never had a problem eating on the street. I just make sure the food is cooked. I won't eat uncooked varieties on the street. I know there is concern too about the cleanliness of the eating utensils (plates, bowls, forks, spoons, etc.), but again, I have never had a problem with that.

Getting the necessary shots (HEP) before coming here might be a good idea if you plan to eat on the street a lot. Better to be safe than have yellow eyes, if you know what I mean.

I have never seen or heard of anyone in Thailand drinking tap water, I really don't think it's a good idea, if only based on the "when in Rome..." philosophy.

Regarding food posioning, I will have to agree that my wife and I have been sick occassionally after eating in "semi upscale" restaurants. Never have been sick from street food.

Shots are a good idea.

The drinking water companies make their money due to this kind of stories; The tap water in Bangkok is safe to drink, it is closely monitored by the authorities and is perfectly safe.

Last year an interview with one of the authorities underlined the problem they have to educate the Bangkok residents that it is allright to drink the water from the tap.

They spend a f*cking furtune to improve the whole water cleaning and supply all over the city and everyone still walks to the store to buy bottled water!

PS: I drink bottled water also. Water from the tap does not taste soo well as the mineralized drinking water, but that's a whole different subject. Taste versus risks.

Originally posted by think1stbkk:

"The drinking water companies make their money due to this kind of stories; The tap water in Bangkok is safe to drink, it is closely monitored by the authorities and is perfectly safe."

You may be right as far as bacteria go, but that's not the whole story. Several years ago, I read a report that drinking water in Bangkok was very much polluted with heavy metals - mercury, lead and what-have-you. I forget the exact figure, but the pollution level, measured in ppm (parts per million) was way above the "safe" level (if there is such a thing).

Some of the heavy metals may stem from polluted air which settles on water reservoirs or on the ground and enters underground water sources, but sometimes also from old, lead water pipes.

Needless to say, I only drink bottled mineral water, even use it to make tea.

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by think1stbkk:

The tap water in Bangkok is safe to drink, it is closely monitored by the authorities and is perfectly safe."

I read an article in the Bangkok Post months ago that quoted the water folks in Bangkok saying that a lot of $$ were spent unnecessarily on bottled water because Bangkok water met all international standards for purity. It also said that outlying cities/towns do not necessarily meet those same standards. It also stated something to the effect that if you lived in a newer building, you should never have any problem but older buildings might have a pipe problem.

I started drinking tap water (which I like the taste of) and have been doing so for 6 months or so and never a problem. I also drink ice with no problem but usually get bottled water at smaller restaurants. Only time I have had a food problem so far was at a very large restaurant where I think the seafood salad was bad. I hope my luck continues.

My theory is to build up your immunity to "Bkk gut" is eat street food every few days.

you ever see the water they rinse the plates in.?

bet it is a mixture ( diluted we hope) of a lot of bad stuff, and you get exposed to it a little at a time ( hopefully)

if your body fights the "bugs" and wins, you get immune to the latest strains of whatever is going around.

of course this theory is not 100%, as using it I have more than once noticed the more you have to "make it home to the crapper" the more traffic slows, or more red lites, idiot drivers, your friends all want to stop you for a chat, ect.

Yeah, it sucks to have the shits when a BG is spending the night in your tiny hotel room.

Also, Cabogirls1 never really specified that he would be in BKK, as opposed to other places such as Pattaya or even more obscure areas.

If one is to live in Thailand, one should get accustomed to the water, so that he/she doesn't have to hassle with tooth brushing with bottled water, etc. But, I think tourists might as well just stick to bottled water. Holiday time in LOS is too precious to spend on the crapper.

Also, one should always have a dose of Cipro antibiotics handy, just in case. Stomach insurance. I never had to resort to using it, but I'll never travel without it. wink.gif" border="0

I just had a month in LOS. I brush my teeth in BKK water but not to sure to drink it because of pollutants not bacteria borne material. I always eat from street vendors and I have never had a problem. I was in Khon Kaen when I noticed the street vendor washed his plates in the bowl that all the soi dogs drink out of. Oh Well Im still here and well.

Archived