food and water ok

I am surprised that BKK tap water is ok to drink. All i can say is that all of the thai I know in major centers (mostly Pattaya) use bottled water. Then again, like sarisin, I brush my teeth from the sink. A friend of mine went to Koh Samet on his first trip and at night was so thirsty he just cupped some water from the filled basin in his bungalow.Only in the morning did he realize that the basin was full of little insects and larvae. I have questionned his intelligence ever since, which also proves he is still alive. And lucky....

A little over a month ago, I was staying at Nana Hotel (2 room deluxe suite), turned on the hot water, and nothing but brown crud came spewing out for at least 15 seconds. Moral of story: The water may be fine, but if the pipes aren't, neither is the resulting H2O flowing out of them. Problem might have been an antiquated water heating system. I only mentioned Nana Hotel because it is unlikely the room has ever remained empty for any period longer than 2 hours over the course of the last 10 years. After seeing that, it's nothing but bottled water for me. Even for brushing teeth.

Interesting that majority of posters only experienced problems in mid-to-upscale restaurants. Leads you to believe that since most of these establishments are located within hotels, that problem lies therein. Me think we need a plumbers input here! cool.gif" border="0

I have noticed exposed water feed lines going into homes, shops, ect.

most have a one way valve in them, some do not.

which is good idea in theory, but in practice does not really work well if there is a slow back feed.

this means. ( can/does happens) that if a building has a storage tank for water when the pressure drops, some of the water. ( clean, dirty, ect) gets sucked back into the main feed line, and later pumped back into other places depending on the back flow, pressure, time, ect.

so--- whatever "curd" in in the storage tanks ends up being "shared" by other users in the same area.

I have seen some of the thai toilets with the cistern ( tiled water holding area) with the feed pipe under water too, so you can imaging what all is being sucked back into the system.

I brush my teeth with the tap water, but have a heat/filter system for all other ingested water.

Seems ok. ( made by electrolux)

BTW: I think you have to pay extra at the nana for the fortified water ( brown crud) smile.gif" border="0

I would also be careful of the drainage from the air conds that drips on to the streets, lots of interesing things live in the drip pans.

but that and the holes in the sidewalks, vendors, ect makes walking more of an adventure.

( not even to mention the ppl that don't seem to be aware anyone else is on the street when they stop, reverse direction, turn, bend over

( that one is ok a few times smile.gif" border="0 ) ect.

Ive only ever had one genuine problem with food on the street, and that was from a vendor outside the Miami apartment on

Petchburi. It was a grilled chicken leg and it was obviously "off" so I didnt eat it.

The only stomach problems Ive had are from eating to much chilly, and Im sure most times Ive heard of food problems its probably because people are not used to chilly.

I clean my teeth in the water, never had a problem. I have read that the only time to be careful is when it is flooding and river or run off water can get into the water supply.

quote:

Originally posted by HIGH THAIED:

Interesting that majority of posters only experienced problems in mid-to-upscale restaurants. Leads you to believe that since most of these establishments are located within hotels, that problem lies therein. Me think we need a plumbers input here!
cool.gif" border="0

One of the places I got food poisoning was at a rather famous upscale Thai restaurant (I will not post the name). I took my staff of 32 Thai employees there for our Christmas party. All but two came down with food poisoning the next day.

When I confronted the restaurant's management with this (after I stopped erupting from both ends), they apologized and said it was because we drank water from a newly installed system. I don't think so. I still think it was the food that was bad.

Fittingly, the manager offered our group a free meal at the same restaurant.

I have not returned and will not.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Sarisin ]

quote:

Originally posted by pasathai:

I would also be careful of the drainage from the air conds that drips on to the streets, lots of interesing things live in the drip pans.

but that and the holes in the sidewalks, vendors, ect makes walking more of an adventure.

( not even to mention the ppl that don't seem to be aware anyone else is on the street when they stop, reverse direction, turn, bend over

( that one is ok a few times
smile.gif" border="0
) ect.

hahaha, man are you dead on with this pasathai! I hate when stuff drips on me from above when I am walking around - and I ain't talkin' rain here. It always seems to be something from an a/c, but it is nasty.

As you said, the pedestrian's lot here in Bangkok is an adventurous one. In addition to the items you mentioned I would add the motorcycles and 'docile' sleeping soi dogs as habitual obstacles.

The sidewalks of Bangkok are probably responsible for more twisted, sprained and broken ankles than anywhere else in the world.

Archived