thai food in uk

My girl is back in the UK but we are having big problems finding Thai food and ingredients over here anyone had any luck on finding a good importer or Thai food shop. Im missing Thai food real bad, the packet shit in the supermarket just aint the same. when I bought the Tesco stuff it she just curled up in fits of laughter, when she cooked it I realised why, any info greatly appreciated Cheers and all the best.

Where are you living?, there are lots of places around London and one in Cambridge. Many Chinese wholesalers sell Thai products. Do a search on google, or I can look in the thai association magazine if you like-peter

quote:

Originally posted by turtle3:

My girl is back in the UK but we are having big problems finding Thai food and ingredients over here anyone had any luck on finding a good importer or Thai food shop. Im missing Thai food real bad, the packet shit in the supermarket just aint the same. when I bought the Tesco stuff it she just curled up in fits of laughter, when she cooked it I realised why, any info greatly appreciated Cheers and all the best.

• 1 month later...

Try and seek out your nearest branch of Wing Yip, various locations in London but also Birmingham and Manchester if my memory serves correct.

This is a large Chinese run supermarket (and I don't necessatily mean that it is run by a large Chinese person..) but it will probably stock most of the day to day goodies that you require at far more reasonable prices than the usual supermarket chains in your locale.

It could well be worth a day trip to stock up every couple of months.

D

If your in Manchester check out China town plenty of supermarkets. I think there is even a Thai supermarket next to or near to Pacific restaurant.

A friends G/F got some Thai ingredients from somewhere in China Town and cooked us all a great Chicken Green Curry.

Happy hunting.

P.S. Even though its not much better than Tesco, Sainsburies has a better choice.

In London the best one I found was Thalad Thai on Upper Richmond Road in Putney. It also has a snack bar type restaurant, and is very useful for information on Thai events and festivals.

There is a Chinese supermarket in the Montpelier area of Bristol, just off the first junction of the M32 which has a great array of ingredients from all over Asia, including Thailand. It appears that most of the Thai restaurants in the West Country get their stuff there, and it is cheaper than sainsburys (apart from Durians which were about 20 quid each.)

Archived