Now what???

Flashermac

Look Flasher, you can't be too careful these days. If someone is speaking Arabic... or some other language you don't recognise, then the wise thing to do is demand that they be arrested or at the very least refuse to board the aircraft.

The same goes for people who are carrying potentially dangerous items like bottles of "water" (potentially containing liquid explosives) and i-pods (potential detonator).

Similarly, people returning from beach holiday destinations who are not wearing flip-flops should be reported to the authorities.

Shit. The world just isn't safe anymore! We are fighting a War On Terror God Damnit!

Funny you say that, as 90%+ of the guys on my work crew do not speak English as a first Language. Sad really, as many still sound like they just gopt off the boat, despite living here 20-30+ years...DON'T get me started on this...

OH, just curious what language they do speak?

Just got a new guy in my shop and we ran into a glitch trying to train him when he didn't understand some things in the manuals - he said not his fault as English was not his 1st language - even though he was born and raised in the US (in Calif)... :shakehead

Funny you say that, as 90%+ of the guys on my work crew do not speak English as a first Language. Sad really, as many still sound like they just gopt off the boat, despite living here 20-30+ years...DON'T get me started on this...

Don't worry OH. They are all sleepers and as soon they are awakened they will leave their job to carry out their final duty...

...like opening a grocery store in Atlanta.

Funny you say that' date=' as 90%+ of the guys on my work crew do not speak English as a first Language. Sad really, as many still sound like they just gopt off the boat, despite living here 20-30+ years...DON'T get me started on this...[/quote']

OH, just curious what language they do speak?

Just got a new guy in my shop and we ran into a glitch trying to train him when he didn't understand some things in the manuals - he said not his fault as English was not his 1st language - even though he was born and raised in the US (in Calif)... :shakehead

1 is Jamaican, she is cool, speaks English very well, but with a cool accent. 2 Speak Spanish (which I can also speak)(The cleaning crew Speaks ONLY Spanish but they are not directly on my crew).) 7-8 speak Chinese. about 30 Speak Tagalog. Only 4-5 white guys USA born on our crew. Of course, we are all racists and bigoted.

Funny, the Latinos hate ALL the Asians (behind the back of course) "...todos son Chinos sucios..." (all dirty Chinese), The Chinese hate the Filipinos. The Filipinos think they own the place, and I am the bigot...oh well...

You should see the tech prints we get to work with, written by non native speakers, the grammer and spelling make me and Nervous Dog look like Oxford Linguistic scholars...Some days I feel like I am working with 2 year olds trying to learn the language, and god forbide you say something about their English, written or Spoken, that is just plain wrong, and you are wrong to correct them. Pitiful really. Of course, they have rights, I apparently don't.

I went to university with a fellow with a heavy German accent, though his English was perfect. He was from a little town in North Dakota, where German is still the first language at home. And of course, the Cajuns still speak a sort of Archaic French down in de bayous. Used to be lots of French speakers up in Vermont and Maine too, but it has pretty much died out. (Canucks who worked in the mills some 60 or more years ago.)

When I was 12 or 13, I was a linguistic minority amongst the Hispanics just 20 miles above the Mexican border. But even so, everyone of them could speak very good English too. Too many nowadays think we should learn Spanish to talk to them! (My Spanish is very rusty these days, besides being border type "Spinglish".)

Funny you mention it, but I didn't formally study Spanish until high school, and University. Oddly, I allready spoke it by the time I had my first class. Just picked it up in everyday life I guess. My Spanish is going to crap fast, just as well I guess, make room in my brain for Thai.

Archived