UEFA Champions League

ultras67

What the fuck are you talking about? I don't have to be 70 years old to remember the 2005 Champions League season and the 2007 one! The final happened just this week, you know!

You make no sense when talking about 'living in the past' and then going on to talk about other things that have already happened.

Even more pathetic are the people who say that but then go on to talk about the past up to a certain point that suits them, like the year the top division's name was changed from 'Division 1' to 'The Premiership'. What sort of sense does that make?

I hedged my allegiance this season by betting on Milan. That way, at least I won money if my team lost.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's no luck. Separate out the league and Europe and look rationally at Liverpool's results and performances in Europe this season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/champions_league_results/default.stm

They've been as good as ANYONE in the competition, Milan included, and they deserved to get to the final.

Milan have had slip-ups to Man Utd, Lille, AEK Athens and they barely scraped past Celtic.

Man U were taught a lesson by Milan and also lost to Roma, Celtic, FC Copenhagen and were also (imo) lucky to beat Lille away.

Meanwhile Liverpool only lost narrowly to Chelsea and Barcelona and Galatarasay (away with a reserve team when they had already qualified).

Look at the difference in teams each lost to!

Look what each team had to beat. Liverpool had to put out the CL holders and the Premiership holders.

In 2005, they also had to put out the Italian champions and the Premiership holders before they even met Milan. Over 2 legs each, combined together, that's not luck.

Throughout the campaign, Liverpool have looked very good. Rafa plainly knows what he's doing in Europe.

And, as you said, we did it with a Zenden handicap! :D

(Before, it was a Traore handicap.:doah: )

Er, my apologies. No innocent man deserves that insult. :tophat:

Still, since you started...

PSV 0 Liverpool 3

PSV 1 Arsenal 0

:neener:

But Liverpool quite like Arsenal in general. We actually beat Barcelona just for you. :p

Seriously, I know the league's a different story for Rafa so far but he beats the pants off Fergie and Wenger in Europe. He plays teams that have flummoxed or thrashed both of them and makes those same opponents look ordinary, even with slightly worse players at his disposal.

Bibblies you are referring to the past the entire time, I understand the present has no title for your team and even fewer international titles for Manchester but if you are really trying (i mean really) trying to make a point you just make a fool out of yourself!

Manchester United is the superior team in England, followed by Chelsea then long time nothing and Liverpool and Arsenal on a same level faaaaaaaaar behind them!

I am sure you will keep on going with your almost FRENCH arrogance :shocked: and keep on ignoring that 38 games in the EPL are proofing a bit more instead of 2 good games against Barcelona and beating lower class teams like Eindhoven. I see that a Liverpooler wouldn't accept a Manchester victory under any circumstances, this what you call sports and I call it cowardness!

I think a 2nd place in the CL is a brilliant achievement for a team like Liverpool, no need to dig in the past and try to compare things, from how I see it Liverpool could win all 4 titles each year and the people would still care more about ManU! :smirk:

Bibblies you are referring to the past the entire time, I understand the present has no title for your team and even fewer international titles for Manchester but if you are really trying (i mean really) trying to make a point you just make a fool out of yourself!

Manchester United is the superior team in England, followed by Chelsea then long time nothing and Liverpool and Arsenal on a same level faaaaaaaaar behind them!

I am sure you will keep on going with your almost FRENCH arrogance :shocked: and keep on ignoring that 38 games in the EPL are proofing a bit more instead of 2 good games against Barcelona and beating lower class teams like Eindhoven. I see that a Liverpooler wouldn't accept a Manchester victory under any circumstances, this what you call sports and I call it cowardness!

I think a 2nd place in the CL is a brilliant achievement for a team like Liverpool, no need to dig in the past and try to compare things, from how I see it Liverpool could win all 4 titles each year and the people would still care more about ManU! :smirk:

Er, mate...

1. This is a CHAMPIONS LEAGUE thread. :deal:

2. 2007 Finalist and 2005 Winners of the Champions League compared to 1999 (or 1968) for your beloved ManUtd. Which is more in the past? :dunno:

3. "2 good games against Barcelona and beating lower class teams like Eindhoven" ...

..er..

and Chelsea (whom you've just said are a really good team :doah: )

and against Milan (compared to your beloved ManU, we put up a good fight and had the best of it. Similar to 2005, when they beat ManU easily yet lost to us.)

Ditto 2005 for Juventus and Chelsea and Milan.

Yet you think only of Eindhoven and whinge that I'm talking about the past when I talk of 2007 and 2005. Could you be any more bitter and irrelevant? :shakehead

(And if I wanted to talk about the past, I'd also be mentioning 1984, 1981, 1978 and 1977!)

I can only think you're still bitter because Milan taught your favourites ManU and Bayern a lesson but actually have a hard time beating us. :smirk:

To repeat: this is a UEFA Champions League thread. It's about beating good European teams. Man Utd fans have no business here. :grinyes::mooning:

Dunno what is wrong with your synapses?

You actually believe Milan had a hard time beating Liverpool? The match I have seen Milan had control over the game the entire time, they played it save and have never been in any real danger to give it away. That is how Milan plays. Munich doesn't have the quality to win against Milan, I am not bitter about it I was angry about the cheating referee in the first leg, other than that they played the same game in Munich as they played in Athens, the other team has more ball possession but they don't let them get into the box, simply because Milan is a team of strong and experienced players and their counter attacks are lethal. As much as I hate the club and the criminals owning it, Milan is 1 level better than any European team right now and the deserved winner of the trophy!

Liverpool is the underdog and they achieved great things in 1 out of 4 competitions. Coming in second is being the first looser. No trophy, a good result and ended up worse as in 2005! Nothing to cheer about really.

for the record, I don't love Man Utd. I love the KSC which got promoted in the Bundesliga, I love football and therefore I like teams that play good football, no matter what color or origin. I understand you English need this rivalry shit because the sun is never shining, the food is terrible and the chicks look like goats and football is basically the best thing to forget about that! :)

As a Liverpool supporter (but most neutrals in the media seem to agree), I'd say that we had the better game in 2007 and they had the better of 2005. The reverse better team won in each case.

Half the Milan team were, well before the end, booting the ball away rather than keeping it in a very un-Milan like fashion. (Compared to the very calm way Italy kept possession in the tightest situations in the pressure of the 2006 World Cup semi final, it was noticeable).

Rafa got the best of the tactical battle. Milan's players looked very ordinary - even Kaka and Gattuso were muted. The rest are ageing. The difference was a lucky deflection and Inzaghi taking the chance he got. If you think that team's "1 level above any other team in Europe", you've been taken in by the hype. They were worthy winners (because they scored more :) ) but there are teams at the same level.

As a neutral, I'd say Chelsea are better for a start (and also better than ManU). Two domestic titles in 3 years, a few domestic cups and 3 times Champions League semi finalists in 4 seasons (the other time going out to Barcelona, the eventual winners)...

I have criticized Milan often enough for their rather boring game and the sleeper tactics. Dunno if you have seen 2nd Munich game, they appeared to be harmless and under confident after Munich scored a 2:2 in Milan and all of a sudden "bang boom woosh" it was 2:0 within 4 minutes. They have beaten ManU and they have beaten Liverpool and no doubt they would have beaten Chelsea because they can focus on their minimalistic game and score when they get an opportunity. When other teams need 10 chances to score they need a half of a chance, they are extremely efficient and that what makes them one level better than the rest of Europe! Hopefully next year an offensive playing team will win!

CT is right and touched upon a point that i raised a little while ago.

the past is the past and the future is the future.

the old saying comes to mind.........you are only as good as your last game.

Liverpool were dominant 20/30 Years ago and MU have been sorta dominant since the PL started.

football changes and Teams and their fortunes change.

yes Liverpool have been the most successful English Team in European Competitions and have won the League the most times.......the record books don't lie.

but MU have been better in the last 15 Years.

but past glories mean nothing when the new Season starts.

MU are the most successful Team in the FA Cup,but have lost the last 2 Finals they have been in.

so there past record means nothing as thay have lost recently.

MU's record in the PL will mean nothing if they do not win the PL next Season.

Liverpool have reached 2 CL Finals in the last 3 Seasons but their first Finals in 20 odd Years.

times were different when they dominated and the format was different and 'perhaps' an easier Competition.

in the old days there was no-way you could face Teams like Barca,Real Madrid,Milan and Inter one after the other.

i have no problem agreeing that Liverpool have done well in reaching 2 Finals but i still say that the PL is the bread and butter for any Premiership Footballer,any Cup run is a bonus.

once Liverpool start to perform in the PL Year in,Year out then their fans can start bragging of glory Days.

every Teams starts with a clean slate come August any Trophy is a reward.

forget about the past and look forward to the future............

Archived