Ponderosa & Bennigans Coming to Thailand

Sarisin

It was announced in the Bangkok Post business section today that two American chain restaurants would be opening in Thailand next year.

For you non-yanks out there, Ponderosa is a middle range steak restaurant that usually has a Sizzler-like salad/food bar. Bennigans is more like a TGIFridays.

The main target customers for these restaurants was listed as 'professionals and their families wanting a quick, quality meal.' A spokesperson mentioned they were entering Thailand during their economic downturn because the cost of investment is low and there are only two similarly positioned brands - TGIFridays and Tony Roma's.

I would add Sizzler's to that. One interesting thing mentioned about Tony Roma's. The general manager of the franchise said each month they have between 5,000 to 6,000 customers in the Bangkok restaurant. That seems like a lot to me. About 200 daily.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn't the TGIF franchise gone belly-up here? I noticed the other day that the branch on Silom is now gone, replaced with (yet another) German beer hall type of place.

Really? I didn't know that about the one on Silom Rd. I could have sworn I still saw the TGIFridays sign there.

The one in Ploenchit Centre on the second floor is still open and serving high priced farang food. Basically, the same menu as in in the US. They used to have some cute waitresses in the place and I have dated one of the hostesses.

The place seldom has more than a few tables occupied and I cannot imagine it turning a profit. A few years back they sponsored a Ladies Night when all the ladies present got free drinks for several hours. I went to a couple and the place was packed to the rafters with office girls, many still in uniform.

Sadly, a Malaysian guy bought the franchise and Ladies Night as well as Happy Hour was canceled. The downstairs of TGIFridays became a Watson's and the place has gone downhill ever since.

It will be interesting to see how Ponderosa and Bennigan's do.

quote:

Originally posted by Sarisin:

One interesting thing mentioned about Tony Roma's. The general manager of the franchise said each month they have between 5,000 to 6,000 customers in the Bangkok restaurant. That seems like a lot to me. About 200 daily.

It's not so much really. If you get two dinner services at 50% capacity, one lunch service at 40% and the place seats 100, this alone would account for 140 patrons. 4 pairs of diners per hour for the other 7 hours of the day would make up the difference, more or less.

I've never been inside, but from the outside the place looks big enough to do this. Anybody know how many they can seat?

Ponderosa??? Auuuugggghh!

Why must we export the crap of the USA? What must the Thais think of American food? Why can't they build a Cheesecake Factory? A Morton's? OK, California Pizza Kitchen?

When I'm in LOS and hankering for some American grub I'm certainly NOT gonna start at the bottom of the heap! Next thing you know they'll have McDonalds, Pizza Hut... Oh! Wait!

PhordPhan

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Last trip, my Chuli student friend took me to Sizzler!(yeeck!) She thought it was great, the place was packed with Thais, and a long line going out, hard to believe really. I agree with the poster who asked why we (America) exports this crap!? But I guess the answer is obvious...it sells to the locals...

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

Last trip, my Chuli student friend took me to Sizzler!(yeeck!) She thought it was great, the place was packed with Thais, and a long line going out, hard to believe really. I agree with the poster who asked why we (America) exports this crap!? But I guess the answer is obvious...it sells to the locals...

You have a Chula student too? Ain't they something?

You are right on a couple of other points too.

First, the Thais do love Sizzler's don't they? Actually, I think the menu food is crap, but I love the salad bar. It is always a trip to watch Thais approach a salad/food bar the first time. In Pizza Hut they get only one bowl and they pile the salad stuff sky high and wedge it into the bowl every which way. Of course, they usually drop about half of it on the way to the table.

I have to say that most of the straight girls I take out ask to go to Sizzler's first (after Thai food naturally) when I ask them where they would like to eat. For them it is a fun, and maybe even a status kind of thing. Go figure.

Your other point is very valid too. What we consider crap or junk food in the US is considered a treat here to some of the Thais. I can't tell you how many times I have taken students of mine to KFC, Mister Donut or McD's. I beg them to go to a Thai place with me, but they insist on American fast-food. It is always fun with them though I must admit. But, I suppose the waist lines and tonnage of Thais will increase in the coming years as a result of too much calorie exploding junk food.

yeah, Chuli girls are o.k.! But we are just friends, pity, her dad has money (yes, in our old age, we hippies become very materialistic! smile.gif" border="0) She was one of only 2-3 girls I met in LOS who said she liked American food. I suppose, it is like us, we go to a Thai language class, or movie here in the states and keep the theame going with Thai food. Maybe it works the same for them, English class, bad American food. I once ate KFC in Patpong with a girl who said she liked the stuff. It tasted radically different from the crap in the states, worse if you can imagine that!

As for TGI Fridays, the one in Ploenchit center always seems empty, but then so does the Thai place next door (which isn't to bad I'll mind you!) I wouldn't be surprised if it went out soon.

I took a BG from Rock Hard to the Thai restaurant you are speaking about in Ploenchit Centre last week. I wish I could remember the name of that place.

She was raving about the food. I enjoyed it and it was not too expensive. Very good service and they had a cutie playing that Thai stringed instrument during dinner. The place was about 2/3 full with a mixture of Thai and farangs.

A good place to take your lady for Thai food. Extensive menu by the way. With lots of Isaan favorites too.

Yeah, I really like that place, nice people there also. Glad to hear it is/was filling up a bit. If you want a really good Lao/Isaan place, try Vientiane Kitchen on Soi 36, about a block off of Sukhumvit. Great atmospheare, and live traditional music, the girls I've taken there really love it.

Archived