Japanese Cold Noodles

Chanchao

Hi,

Off-topic question: On some Japanese airlines like ANA they serve (part of the breakfast set) a dish which is cold noodle 'soup' (a soy sauce based sauce) where you put some dried seaweed in and the green wasabi stuff.

What's this dish called, and can you get it in instant form in Japanese supermarkets?? I'd like to get some on my stopover in Japan if available.

Cheers,

Chanchao

It's called soba. It's easier to make than spaghetti. Just buy buckwheat noodles and the soba tsuyu. Boil the buckwheat noodles. Drain and rinse with cold water or ice water. Then usually you need to mix the soba tsuyu(looks like soy sauce) with water since it's a concentrate.

Hi,

Just to add to Tyler Durden's post: add wasabi (green horseradish common with sushi), some nori (paper thin seaweed stuff, best to cut into smaller strips for cold soba) and chopped green onions to the soba (noodles) and tsuyu (the sauce). By the way, you can drink up the remaining tsuyu after all noodles are eaten -- it might be an acquired taste but I like it!

I'm sure green onions are widely available in Thailand and as for the rest of the stuffs, I believe you can get it at Fuji Supermarket at the Soi between 33 and BTS Phrom Phong Station (sorry I forgot the number), among other places in BKK, since many Japanese families are shopping there.

Come to think of it, cold soba must be one of the few Japanese dishes that hasn't been "instant-ized" yet, but I could be wrong.

Ciao!

micsnee

Chanchao,

You won't be able to get it in the little cafeteria in the Narita International Airport terminal lounge. But, you can get it if you exit past immigration and go into the greater terminal. They have many Japanese restaurants there, but I'd be surprised if your itinerary allowed you that much time.

Chanchao,

If you spend any time in Pattaya, it's available made-fresh daily at the take-out sushi counter at Tops Supermarket (NW corner of the intersection of Central and Second Roads) for around 50 Baht.

Archived