Soi 22

Roger_Baby

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have been off the board for a long time and have re-registered now. Most of you will remember me as uniformguy but this is my new handle as I am now living and working here.

I have read this thread with great interest as my girl has recently opened a bar on Soi 22. The bar is called Aloha Bar and it is down past the Imperial Queen's Park Hotel in the middle of three Japanese bars. Aloha bar is NOT a Japanese Bar although we do have some Japanese customers. We do not have karaoke or a pool table. It is a small, cosy, intimate bar with a couple of cute girls at the moment. So next time any of you are down that end of the Soi and want a beer check Aloha bar out, it is NOT as I said before a Japanese bar.

Take a look at our website and check out the drinks discount voucher. Print it off or the whole page to prove you got it off the net and come and have a few drinks. www.aloha-bar.com

And thanks to Khun Sanuk for allowing me to post this, we will advertise shortly.

I have read this thread with great interest as my girl has recently opened a bar on Soi 22. The bar is called Aloha Bar and it is down past the Imperial Queen's Park Hotel in the middle of three Japanese bars.

Interesting ...

That is certainly an up-and-coming area of Soi 22 -- right around the Admiral Suites hotel.

Lots of remodeling and painting and general refreshing of things in that part of the soi during the past couple of years.

Not many people know about that little section of Soi 22, so it's never crowded, never rowdy, but always friendly.

Every time I go over that way, I always get a warm welcome.

"Aloha Bar" used to be "Sweet Home Bar".

I've never been inside, but the remodeling looks like a neat job.

There's also a new, oil massage shop next door to "Aloha".

The name is "My Dear" or "Hi Dear" or something like that.

I went in there a few times for foot massage, but, while I did get foot massage, they made it very clear that their specialty is oil massage.

There's an excellent restaurant across the street from "Aloha".

Used to be "Coffee Max", but name just changed to "Bon Cafe".

The coffee has changed, but the menu remains the same: a big selection of delicious American and European food at reasonable prices.

And free WiFi.

Also within a few paces are two Bangkok bar veterans: "Cafe 22" and "New Cowboy".

And across the street from those two is a Scottish Bar (as from Scotland).

The biggest change in the neighborhood is the total overhaul of the old Jade Pavilion hotel.

Now renamed the "Grand Mercure", and quite pretty inside -- European modern style.

That change has given the neighborhood a bright, new, outlook.

That hotel put in a new restaurant: Italian food.

Big glass windows and a wood-burning oven for the pizza.

Fancy place, fancy prices, but the few times I've eaten there the food has been just okay.

Interesting neighborhood starting to bloom.

Worth a look 'round.

Overt racism in practise...never noticed a bar turn away a jap from one of the farang centred bars...i guess that either says something about japanese people or the owners who run these establishments...i presume the former...

Ironic, most japs i know are hardly well off...

"Overt racism in" EXPRESSION

"a jap from"

"most japs"

it is not an abbreviation gentlemen, it is a racist slur.

:(

the abbreviation is "J" J-bars, J-girls J-customers

>it is not an abbreviation gentlemen, it is a racist slur.

I tend to agree with you, *but*

>the abbreviation is "J" J-bars, J-girls J-customers

Says who exactly?

-j-

My J-gal says so! :D

http://homepage1.nifty.com/j-girl/

She happens to love the J-league soccer teams in Japan, (yes, they call bloody football soccer)

http://www.j-league.or.jp/

and she is also quite fond of J-pop music.

http://www.musicfever.org/japanese/

as well as j gal fashion...

http://www.ricoche.net/forums/voting-booth/1204-vote-best-j-gal-face-egg-2005-a.html

or a more realistic j bar?

http://j-bar.jp/ :D

Cheers.

Being part Japanese myself I have come to the conclusion that there are a great deal of people who say 'jap' because they are too lazy complete it (which really isn't an excuse) but it does leave a feeling of discontent when used. Albeit I am generally tolerant of it and enless used in a very derogatory fashion I tend to ignore it.

Old habbits die hard and there really isn't much point in trying to correct everybody.

Though you really have to ask yourself, in a buisness situation would you refer to your Japanese guest as a 'jap' and still think nothing of it?

Archived