Soi 22

Roger_Baby

If I ran around calling all black people the "n" word I wouldn't expect them to do anything less then consider me racist, even though in my alternate reality it couldn't mean less

Same same.

Don't we all know that the word "jap" is derogatory?, which is unfortunate, because it is easy to say and write...drop the J-bomb and suffer the consequences...speaking of the "n-word"...when I was a kid the j-people were called "Nips"..as they call their own country Nippon - Ni = sun, pon=source - source of the sun - source of the rising sun, from the perspective of the Chinese who probably gave them the name. Of course, Wierd, you know all this being part Japanese... - I used to own a Datsun 1200 - a very small box like car - I still remember taking it to a shop to get it worked on and the mechanic kept talking about my "little rice bucket"..now that was fuckin derogatory..

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
speaking of the "n-word"...when I was a kid the j-people were called "Nips"..

I remember sitting in a bar watching a golf tournament years ago. Isao Aoki had a long bunker shot and the color analyst, Johnny Miller, said something like, "I love the way the Japanese play these bunker shots - they just sort of 'nip' the ball."

Our jaws dropped and we just looked at one another as if to say, 'Did you just hear what I heard?' It was all perfectly innocent though. :)

It's not your intent that matters when you speak, it's what comes across.

If you say something blatantly racist it doesn't matter if you don't mean it that way. People will take your words for what they are.

If I ran around calling all black people the "n" word I wouldn't expect them to do anything less then consider me racist, even though in my alternate reality it couldn't mean less(maybe I grew up with everybody calling each other that and didn't know the meaning of the word?).

Same same.

Actually it is the intention that matters, english is a highly contextual language, maybe you should try learning a bit about it? I use Jap as an abbreviation and i REALLY wasn't aware it was so offensive, however, your example of nigger is not a good one, as that can only be offensive, due to the nature of the word and it's implied meaning.

Now, if i use Jap as an abbreviation, mainly due to laziness on my part, wasn't aware of it's apparent offensiveness and there was no intention on my part to cause offence, does that eleviate the problem, or in your parallel universe, when someone believes and thinks something, does that make them wrong, because you say so? Are you the almighty judge of others behaviour, able to understand their intention without asking them what they mean, you just know? Because i somehow doubt it.

Actually it is the intention that matters, english is a highly contextual language, maybe you should try learning a bit about it? I use Jap as an abbreviation and i REALLY wasn't aware it was so offensive, however, your example of nigger is not a good one, as that can only be offensive, due to the nature of the word and it's implied meaning.

Now, if i use Jap as an abbreviation, mainly due to laziness on my part, wasn't aware of it's apparent offensiveness and there was no intention on my part to cause offence, does that eleviate the problem, or in your parallel universe, when someone believes and thinks something, does that make them wrong, because you say so? Are you the almighty judge of others behaviour, able to understand their intention without asking them what they mean, you just know? Because i somehow doubt it.

Yes, contextual. So please go learn what that means and remove your head from your ... :)

Context includes your enviroment, aka the readers. Not just you, you, you, which you fail to understand.

your example of nigger is not a good one, as that can only be offensive, due to the nature of the word and it's implied meaning.

Funny how you say that then go on contradict yourself immediatly afterwards.

Are you the almighty judge of others behaviour, able to understand their intention without asking them what they mean, you just know? Because i somehow doubt it.

Funny how you can judge the intention of people using that word even though you have no clue. I've heard people call each other that with no negative connotation attached, but you are the "almighty judge of others behavior".

Anyway, I'm done talking with you, you obviously are too narrow minded to understand and will do it anyway.

?????? Wow! Flawed logic!! You fail to understand what i wrote about (context, implication and inference), try to create an example having completely misunderstood my meaning, then you try to accuse me of being that which i had accused you of....wow! You are really sooooo good...just avoid everything...

Then you say, in some grandiose childlike sulk, 'i'm done talking with you'...

I'm so upset...really...

>Actually it is the intention that matters,

Actually, its not. Its about how the group in question feel about the usage. If Japanese people tell you its offensive, then its offensive. And to be honest, your comment that:

>and i REALLY wasn't aware it was so offensive

means you have either led a *very* sheltered life or....(you work it out).

I do, however find it *highly* instructive that, despite having been told the word is offensive, you continue to litter your posts with the word.

Even more instructive, while Weird said (and I am specifically quoting here): "If I ran around calling all black people the "n" word" *you* said (and again I am specifically quoting, as this is not a word I would normally consider using under *any* circumstances: "your example of nigger is".

Hmmmmm if it walks like a racist, talks like a racist.....may be.....

-j-

gREAT IDEA.

p.s. i also use the word jap and will continue to do so. for those who feel the need to be anally pc go somewhere else its all very boring.

ive lived in japan for 12 months and i got abused regularly as the 'japs' are some of the most racist people on earth. stop defending them like they are special and untouchable. BTW this is not directed to anyone in particular.

NOW HOW ABOUT SOI 22......

Racism has no place on this board, nor does racism in retaliation. Whatever your quarrels may be with whoever you associated with in real life you should keep that racist crap off the boards.

Nobody said anybody is untouchable. It's called showing common courtesy.

Archived