Ubon Ratchatani New Farang Bar

Central Scrutinizer

Hi All,

Was at the Surin Farang Connection piss-up the other night (Sat.) and ran into some nice gents from up the Ubon way. One man, a fellow Masshole from Massachusetts has told me about his new Bar/Restaurant with pool table and all for those farangs and Thais looking for a nice place in that area to hang out. Seems he has a wood-fired pizza oven and I am told he makes excellent pizzas. He was also telling me about some beef he gets now for his steaks (rib-eyes, T-bones, sirloins, etc.) that a French company or NGO (whatever-hey the Changs were free that night at the Farang Connection-anniversary party) had brought some cattle that they taught the Thais to raise for beef. Supposed to be very tasty as some of the others attested to. They also have a nice new pool table as well.

I intend to go up there in a couple weeks and sample the fare and area and have a few brews with the locals and expats up there.

Here's the contact info/address etc. for those that might find themselves in the area and want to try this place out for themselves.

Wrong Way Cafe

Richard & Ting

49/4-5 Phadang Road

Amphur Muang

Ubon Ratchatani

phone: 045-245921

mobile: 06-8686661

e-mail: richard@wrongwayhome.com

Directions: On the left, just 1 1/2 blocks north of Central Thung Sri Muang Park, on Phadang Road.

I'll come back with an update for those interested when I get back from my visit to this place. SOunds nice, and the wood-fired pizza is just the ticket to get my arse up to Ubon for a couple days visit. Plus Richard is a nice guy to chat with over a beer or two and maybe challenge to a few games of pool in his new place. :-)

Cent

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Went to the Wrong Way Cafe Australian footie match piss up last Saturday. Easy to find really, great place. Went up with another expat friend here from Surin. 2 hours drive from Surin. Highway 226. The farang who owns the Wrong Way is a nice guy and his place is excellent for a party. Good food, nice set-up and good liquors. His name is Richard, from USA, Massachusetts actually. They had a free chili con carne and very good garlic bread for the piss-up. About 25 farangs from the area were there and they all seemed a good lot of gents. Aussies, Yanks, Brits, Norwegies, etc. We had a good time and will be back one day soon. Richard has a great wood fired oven for making pizzas and such. The place is well done (needs a big screen TV though).

He had a dek serve decked out in a skin tight Tiger beer dress who was about as cute and lovely as a lass can be.

All in all a grand day. Beware though, once inside Ubon Ratch there are very few signs in English. Download the map from their site.

If you're ever in the area guys this is a good place to stop for a bite and a beer or two. Also, directly behind the Wrong Way there is a new hotel with nice rooms, AC, all new showers and hong nam, beds (king) and all for a mere 350 baht a night. 450 baht gets you an extra single bed with the king for those with family along. Can't go wrong, and in stumbling distance from the Wrong Way.

Cent

p.s. All info for the Wrong Way Cafe is in an earlier post in this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello Cent,

It only took me about four months to reply to this nice review of my place (and join thai360.com), and a lot has happened since your post. This will be the only post I'll make about our place in Ubon unless asked to because I don't want to be accused of advertising. A lot of people, however, would like to know where to get together when they are in the Ubon area.

Important matters first: we've now got four lovely and cheerfull girls working full time for us and TWO beer promotion girls, one Tiger, and one San Mig. They both look like their uniforms were painted on them. Apple, the Tiger girl, is particularly lovely. My wife's not a burden on your eyes, either. Oh, dear, I digress. . . Anyway, thanks to the January 1st disappearance of our two cooks (I incinerated them), we've got a completely revamped "pub menu" as I had intended from the beginning (never should have hired a cook who worked in Paris). Fish and chips, burgers, BBQ ribs, sandwiches using sourdough bread, etc. Wanted to mention that I cringe every time I see the word "pizza" because I use the wood-burning oven for baking bread and other things; pizzas are not officially part of the menu yet. Sorry. My website is actually almost a fully working one, though there's a lot more work to be done on it. You can find our menu there, as well as a link to The Ubon Weblog I've started which may be of interest to people passing through or living in the Ubon area as there will be frequent entries that include my ongoing Ubon Nightlife Research Project. I'm glad I found this site as my knowledge of Bangkok nightlife has become quite limited and I'll be passing through in a few weeks.

Cheers!

Hi Richard,

Still stuck in the states at the moment (tax preparations). Hope to be back in three weeks or so. Will hit Ubon on my return for a day and nigfht with the family and some friends and their family. I intend to check out the area further, and maybe get up to a couple of the other Ubon gents places as well in the next couple of months.

Mike/Cent-from Boston

• 2 weeks later...
. . . Also, directly behind the Wrong Way there is a new hotel with nice rooms, AC, all new showers and hong nam, beds (king) and all for a mere 350 baht a night. 450 baht gets you an extra single bed with the king for those with family along. Can't go wrong, and in stumbling distance from the Wrong Way.

I would like to return to Ubon for the festival in July, and would be interested in visiting both the Wrong Way and checking out the nearby hotel.

Does anyone have the name and contact info for this hotel?

Archived