Ubon Ratchatani New Farang Bar

Central Scrutinizer

..... I have not really seen that great of a farang infestation. It is extremely crowded however.....

I'm not sure that "infestation" is the correct word to use in this context, unless of course the farang were vest and thong wearing lager lout sex tourists. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW...

I phone Richard at Wrong Way Home...and as he co-ordinates with the Hotel mentioned earlier in this thread...he was able to book a room for me during the Candle Festival. Rooms are a mere 350-Bt, except during the main 2-days (7/29-30) of the festival, as all the hotels increase their rates slightly.

I'm looking forward to viewing the festival and spending a few days exploring the region. I noted that there are 2 golf courses nearby...but only 9-holes each...and fees of a mere 40-60 Bt. As I'm commuting via motorcycle I'll not carry clubs, so I'll just have to settle for hopefully finding any nightspots that may provide 'exercise' alternatives... :rolleyes:

Munchie,

Infestation may be a bit strong a word for this, but it is truly amazing the amount of upcountry farangs that have popped up the past ten years. In Surin I could count the farang on 2 hands I used to see here ten years ago. Now in ten minutes I'd run out of fingers doing a drive around town in the daytime. There are many many more farangs living in Surin now. And in other Isaan cities around here. Buriram is a huge farang enclave now. Surin as well. Whereas 10 years ago there was no farang shops and restaurants around within the past three or four years there are now three or four farang owned farang food restaurants, and many more places that carry farang foods to buy. Just these past 3 or 4 years they've built a huge Makro Super Store, and now we have a BigC and a Tesco Lotus. The growth rate during the Taksin adminstration was phenominal in Isaan. And the price of land inside the city proper has skyrocketed to outlandish amounts for a city this size and located really in the middle of nowhere. I know of one Thai here selling a bit more than 1 Rai for the asking price of 3 million baht, and this property is not in the business district but on the outskirts of the city. Where there was once only a couple motocyke shops selling new bikes there are now probably 20. And where there was once just a Mitsu and Isuzu truck sales shop there is now a Toyota, a Chevrolet, and a Ford dealerships. This area has really grown, and most of the growth was during the past 4 or 5 years.

Infestation may be a bit harsh of a word, but farangs are popping up here like ants to a slovenly picnic! :shocked::) There's a guy from the Buriram area, American, who is starting a large international school here in Surin as well soon. So much for my sleepy little Isaan oasis.

Went to a newer restaurant here owned by a Norweigian guy yesterday with another Yank friend living here (name of the place is Oasis). Not a bad little pizza he served there. And great music videos on his TV in the place. Watched a Stones tour concert, and that was followed by a Led Zep live show. Good place to chill out. I'll be back there soon. Need to try out his Norweigian meatball dish. :)

Cent

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Surin, for the first time, last March when I was returning from a motorcycle trip in Laos.

I was expecting a much smaller community. I found it overwhelming. I'd spent the night there, prior to riding back home to Pattaya. The following morning I spent nearly an hour unsuccessfully trying to leave town via route 214, which would take me to highway 24. I finally resorted to stopping a pair of cops with my dilemma. Sweet...they lead all the way to route 214, it was nearly 3-km from where I was looking!

I once had the pleasure of meeting 'Cent', but that was maybe 5-6 years ago, when he was in town with his lady, at the early days of the Nanaplaza meetings at Gullivers. It was so long ago Cent must have an aluminum walker and be a grandfather by now ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

ShyGye,

Shhhhhhhh! :shhh: Jezus man, don't let the Thai ladies know about these damned farang traditions! I paid for a big party, some good wines, boozes, karaoke, a nice private AC-ed venue in a wooded glenn and gardens on the outskirts of Surin with karaoke and great food, plus a dozen roses, and a wedding/anniversary cake, a nice card brought from the states for the ocassion, with enough money inside so she can buy what she would like, as I have no clue anymore what to get a woman who basically has everything she needs and wants. She was happy as a clam. After the party we all went to the Surin Tawan Daeng place and partied 'til closing time dancing and drinking. Sanuk mahk mahk I was told. Judging by the hangovers we all had a blast.

Better than a box of chocolates I'd think. :)

Cent

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to Cent & his lady.

I made the trip to Ubon's Candle Festival. I was quite surprised...it's a spectacular to-do! I've posted a TR in the trip report forum.

Richard & Ting @ Wrong Way are fine hosts. Good food and fair prices. Ting pretty much runs the place and keeps the books...while Richard is the host who schmoozes (sp?) with the customers...as well as spends time being creative (makes great sourdough bread, built a fine smoke cooker, etc!).

Well worth a visit...

Archived