Thing you like to eat in Thailand all the time

Alfmaz

Here's a few standards and favorites...

Foodcart9-a2007-09-04_10-10-40.jpg

Foodcart3-a2007-09-10_03-53-31.jpg

This guy has all the Issaarn favorites...the salads, the sausages, and the dried pork...

Foodcart2-a2007-09-10_04-04-07.jpg

The ice cream makes a great dessert, and helps cool the burning sensation caused by good Lao food!

Foodcart8-a2007-09-10_03-52-56.jpg

While we are talking food...the first meat I am sure is tripe, the second some sort of liver type meat...what is the third one from the left, between the liver and the big chunk of pork...? rat maybe?

Foodcart-a2007-09-10_04-04-20.jpg

Anyway, love to eat, and street food is good!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH,

That's probably; Pha Rai (��าร�าย �วายหรือวัว) most likely buffalo or ox meat, located close to the "kee" holder in the animals body.

I've taken quite a fancy to the bread rolls, forgotton the name of it but there's one just by foodland.

I find them very addictive and travel out of my way to get a couple.

I found these rolls by accident one day when I was hanging about siam sq, I saw agroup of people(mainly thai students} in a queue, being the inquisative type I joined it and ended up eating these heated bread rolls with butter inside.

JP

Durian is considered the "king of fruits" to the southeast Asians.

On thing I must warn everyone about:

DO NOT EAT A BUNCH OF DURIAN AND THEN DRINK A LOT OF HARD LIQUOR.

You'll have such severe gastric cramps and pain, that you'll roll around on a bed or floor praying for mercy.

Awhile back while in Pattaya, I bought some durian from a street vendor lady, where the inside yellow lobes were removed from the fruit and packaged up. One morning I ate about 8-9 of those creamy yellow lobes, and then went along the beach to jog.

About an hour later, I wanted to sit out at the pool and smoke a fine Montecristo cigar and have some drinks. To get feeling mellow right away, in the hotel room about 11:00 A.M. I quaffed down about 5 shots of Thai whiskey, and then proceeded out to the pool.

Within 15 minutes, my stomach started to give me grief. I went back up to my room and chewed about 6-7 Mylanta tablets. Mylanta did nothing to alleviate the stomach pain. I kept eating more and more Mylanta to no avail.

I suffered all day long, until by 8:00 at night, the pain became so severe, that I went to the local hospital. They gave me a horse dose of some medication intravenously, and they gave me a few narcotic pills to take back to the hotel that would knock me out and let me sleep.

I did just that, and in the morning I was fine. I talked to several Thai people over the next day or two about my bad experience, and invariably they all shook their heads and implied that it is common Thai knowledge to never mix durian with whiskey.

I learned my lesson. Since I always drink when in Thailand, I just totally avoid durian now.

I am a Khao Man Gai expert.....

The number one Khao Man Gai in all of thailand is on Soi Convent. At night they take a spot just across from starbucks and in front of the french bistro [forgettable in quality, name, but not price].

Khao Man Gai is perfect food, it is one serving of spinach short of perfection.....

Archived