Visa Runs in Trouble??

Pianoman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bet all those changes are now put on hold after the military coup!

Doubt it. Historically these coups seem to have little effect on the day to day running of the government. Keep in mind, that despite hundreds of thread and thousands of responses on farang forums, this was a minuscule change to the government regulations and meant even less to the average Thai.

TH

The visa schemozzle is typically Thai....completely incomprehensible and unworkable.

I suggest that not much will really change for most people. At the very worst some people who do monthly border or visa runs will now have to get a visa from another category if they want to stay long time in LOS. I don't see this as being a huge problem if you are determined enough to stay in LOS.

I don't see it cleaning out the riff raff from LOS as they will work around the system and there seems plenty of scope to achieve this and failing that they will just overstay forever and if they get caught hope they can bribe their way out of trouble.

Storm in a teacup and i think that given the current politcal situation this may not necessarily proceed.

What Thailand needs to do about people skirting the system is to punish those who hire them. Same as the USA or any country needs to do. Thailand like the USA probably does not have the resources.

They could also increase the interval between visits, to prevent people from walking arcoss the border, getting a stamp and walking back. Thus making it less convient to do border runs. But above all, they do need to make the policy clearly understandable by dim wits such as ourselves...you know, the tourists who put money in the economy.

Re visa applications for Thailand in border countries. Just doing some forward planning. For someone based in Bangkok, would the nearest Thai consulate or Thai embassy outside the country be in Cambodia? Anyone had experience in applying?

How about someone based in Chiang Mai? One has a choice here I suppose. Which country might be preferred as a visa source from N. Thailand? If every nearby country is included, which ones historically have had a reasonably trouble free Thai visa application process; Singapore? Malaysia? Philippines?

The enquiry above was made prior to my knowledge of the double & triple entry 60 day visa that is also available. I originally anticipated getting a single entry 60 day visa from the Consulate, and renewing it once while in the country for an additional 30 days. I would then leave Thailand and apply for another 60 day visa again. This combination would basically cover a 5 month trip. If one has the time, though, it seems less of a problem to apply for a triple entry 60 day visa before you go. All that is required is a border run every two months, and turnaround can be the same day if necessary. The three entries must be activated within 6 months of issue.

Strange thing is that each consulate in the USA (NY, Chicago, LA) seemed to hand out a visa under different rules.

One got a visa in Denver, 1 year, multi-entry, no problem, $125.

Another, Chicago, was asked to pay like $25 for each entry for his multi-entry visa, so somehow he was expected to estimate the entries and pay accordingly. So if you plan to go out 10 times, $250...twice the cost of what has been issued in Denver...maybe via the LA office???

Hopefully, they will all start to operate out of the same play book!

Archived