Visa Runs in Trouble??

Pianoman

100% agree with that information supplied, never an argument there, but maybe it needs some further decifering and decoding to elaborate what it doesn't say...it's not entirely explanatory alone of the process and requirements of entering Thailand from one of those 40 "tourist visa-exempt" countries. To facilitate and expedite the entry into Thailand for the vast majority of visitors who arrive (for tourism purposes on stays of up to 30 days) from those 40 approved countries on the list, travellers from them into Thailand are granted exemption from the prior need to obtain any kind of Tourist Visa before arriving in Thailand if their stay is 30 days or less. Those travellers from coutries allowed only a 15 day stay, physically must obtain/apply for a visa on arrival to Thailand at an entry point into the country, a visa on arrival. The visitors from any one of those 40 countries on the list are given an automatic, 30 day Tourist entry stamp in their passports, their "30 day tourist visa" by another other name...because it is an automatic, paperless, fee-less, application-free entry, it's not really termed a visa, there is no visa paperwork attached to the passport, the entry-stamp is that "visa", other categories would require a prior application outside of Thailand and processing, it's not at all practical to require for the 13 million+ visitors yearly to Thailand to undergo a proper beaureucratic application process that would impact tourism, that's why there's the 40 country list.

The term "visa exempt" refers to the need of the passport holder/tourist traveller to apply and obtain a tourism visa and any obvious evidence of one being noted by the passport holder, nevertheless an entry category is being issued anyway.

What I didn't really should have avoided saying in another post was the term 'visa on arrival", this really means something else specifically, not only the process of arriving in Thailand from one of those 40 countries and getting an entry-stanp.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...What I didn't really should have avoided saying in another post was the term 'visa on arrival", this really means something else specifically, not only the process of arriving in Thailand from one of those 40 countries and getting an entry-stanp.

What you should have avoided saying was no one can come into Thailand without a visa, which is what you did say.

I do have to admit your last post was one of the better seemingly effortless 180 degree shifts I have seen. :o

TH

O.k. so say I arrive, stay 5 days, go to Cambodia for 5 days, come back, go to Loas for a few days, then go back to the USA, and come back 2 months later...? what then? do they actually count how many days in the country? how many out? how many between? to me, my usual pattern is clearly different than a viasa runner's but could easily get screwwqed if this new system goes into effect...then again maybe not.

What exactly is visa run? Is it like a person go to the border like Malaysia-Thai or Myanmar-Thai and make a U turn back to Thailand and get another 30 days?

My case, I am from EU nation, and have business in HK, fly in BKK every month for pleasure and night fun, stay from 1 week to 4 weeks each time depend on my schedule,

another friend from Danmark who owns business in Singapore, fly in BKK for night life and fun spend 2-3 weeks a month in BKK,

People like us small jetsetters have anything to do with this whatever new rule is thats beyond my logics?? Whats the 90 days limitation?

Can anyone who understands the irrational Thai mentality explain in clear language what exactly is the new rule??

My thought is just that if these Thais make problems for us big spenders who is contributing the most to their dirt poor nation, we have absolutely no problem heading to Phillippines to enjoy our nights.

Siamaloha, judging from how these crackdowns have played out in the past i don't think people like yourself will be too badly affected? I think the sort of guys they get their knickers in a twist about are the ones who live up near CM on 10,000 baht a month and do monthly runs on an old Honda Wave across the Burmese border or the guys who manage bars in Pattaya with no work permit and don't pay tax.

Simie.

What exactly is visa run? Is it like a person go to the border like Malaysia-Thai or Myanmar-Thai and make a U turn back to Thailand and get another 30 days?

My case, I am from EU nation, and have business in HK, fly in BKK every month for pleasure and night fun, stay from 1 week to 4 weeks each time depend on my schedule,

another friend from Danmark who owns business in Singapore, fly in BKK for night life and fun spend 2-3 weeks a month in BKK,

People like us small jetsetters have anything to do with this whatever new rule is thats beyond my logics?? Whats the 90 days limitation?

Can anyone who understands the irrational Thai mentality explain in clear language what exactly is the new rule??

My thought is just that if these Thais make problems for us big spenders who is contributing the most to their dirt poor nation, we have absolutely no problem heading to Phillippines to enjoy our nights.

I really don't think this is going to affect you, but I do have to say, if you and your friends started going to the Philippines there would be negligible impact to the overall Thai economy. Sexpats tend to have a seriously exaggerated view of their economic worth to Thailand. It is not surprising if your entire view of Thailand is from a hotel on Sukhumvit. :o

TH

This is interesting.

Announcement sounds good at election time. Looks like the government is taking action. Then elections happen, and as things comes to pass, the deadline goes by for the "new" rules and nothing happens.

This time, we don't have a set election date yet. Hell, it might not happen till next year! Can the government ignore its proclamation?

Interesting interesting!

<>

From what I understand you guys who fly in monthly and stay on a 30 day stamp will be in trouble indeed. Each entry will be considered 30 days off the 90 days. That what's they claim on TV (Thai Visa)

Solution: get your ass off to a Thai embassy and pay for a tourist visa, wether it is worth the hassle or turn to another country is up-to-you.

By by Thailand :o

Archived