Visa Runs in Trouble??

Pianoman

IMO it's a copy of the Schengen rule that a person who stayed inside that area for 3 or 6 months on a tourist visa cannot return until after 3 (6) months outside the area. One thai I know was here 6 months and returned 1 week later on an au-pair visa, other thais just get new passports and return after 1-2 weeks. As I mentioned before IMO 2 passports will make it possible to stay permanent on the 30 days periods.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is not a copy of Schengen at all.

it is clearly aimed at the guys, who do visa runs, stay 30 days, leave the country for 1 day/night and returning for another 30 days. it is stated that this will be limited to 3 times.

guys, who fly regularly into Thailand for 2-3 weeks should be fine. why should they screw the regular tourists?

Well lads now iam totally confused with this 90 day rule. Because of my work iam month in thailand and a month away..been doing this for about 5 years so where the hell do i stand in all this..I like the idea of elef of having 2 passports(luckly i have 2)but if anybody can explain in simple terms i will be most greatful. cheers lads

As I understand it, yes, I am allowed Three (3) stamps for entry then I have to leave for 90 days.

So if I arrive, stay 2 days, transit to Cambodia, then return, I now have one more stamp, if I use it within 90 days, I then have to stay out for 90 days...rediculis really. Figure I could arrive, stay 1 night, go to Cambodia, then return, go to Loas, I know have used my 3 stamps, never actually having spent much time in Thailand...there has to be a better way, hell if they will come up with one of course...

These people from near by nations like Singapore, Malaysia, HK, Taiwan, ect who come to Thailand for fun on monthly or even weekly basis, will stop coming. No one will be willing spend the time and money to go to Thai consulate to get a tourist visa for a few days visits. Even people from various nations that come to Thailand for fun frequently will stop coming, simply no one will go through the trouble of getting a visa for this, because there are so many other destinations that are more mature and rational to go.

I can only conclude these Thais are really monkey brians, the way they run a nation is like a first grader try to run a corporation. Its scary the way they make policies, no wonder no big manufactures or corporates dare to invest in this

immature country.

What will happen, the people they really want to keep out of Thailand will just stay and the hell with the visa runs!

The people going in/out every few weeks/months, spending $$$ and having a win-win situation, they will stop going to Thailand and hello Laos, Cambodia, PI, etc.

I agree, but again, in many cases, you may need to transit through BKK to go to Laos, Cambodia etc, so in these cases, what happens?

I average a trip to BKK every 2 months or so. Staying a week or so each time. If I understand these laws right, I in theory would only ba allowed 3-4 trips /entries a year, regardless if I am transitting or staying to spend money...they really are screwing themselves and us, rather than cracking down on the Visa runners...which is easier to do if they really wanted to.

As I understand it, yes, I am allowed Three (3) stamps for entry then I have to leave for 90 days.

where do you have this 90 days from; that's not mentioned anywhere in those media reports. you just adopted this from the Schengen regulation.

i still guess that this is just aiming at people who do visa runs of one day again and again. people, who are frequently flying in and out should be fine.

Suadum, how does your immigration officer-friend see this?

Everything is still just speculation, as mentioned before this is a part of the election campaign.

OHs 90 days is from the original article you can have maximum 3 x 30 days and after that must stay outside for 90 days.

Schengen is involved some months ago a thai message was sent to Europe that if thais were exempted from the Schengen rule the same would be for europeans visiting Thailand. So maybe this is just some sort of blackmail for obtaining more favourable treatment re visas.

OH, it appears from what i've read up to today that what they are saying is if you have three 30 day stamps in a six month period then you have to apply for a toursit visa or they won't allow you back in for 90 days. The really crazy thing is they are'nt saying you only get 90 days in any 180. Which might be understandable as the people they are obviously after are guys like Pattaya bar managers without work permits who stay 30 days then pop to Cambodia on their day off. But it appears that if you stay for just a day or two that still counts as a full 30 days. So guys who might work in say Singapore, Hong Kong or the Middle East and have a long weekend in Thailand every month or two spending good money are going to have to apply for a tourist visa if they want to pop over for the weekend. I can understand what they are trying to achieve but as usual the Thai government have fucked it up and will likely shoot themselves in the foot. I remember another time they made themselves look stupid trying to clamp down on farangs working without work permits was when the BOT said you had to have a work permit to open a bank account and they where then reminded that you could'nt have a work permit if you had a retirement visa but you had to have a Thai bank account to put your 800,000 baht in. :smirk:

Simie.

Archived