Pope pisses off Islam

OCgringo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5349578.stm

The Vatican has denied that Pope Benedict XVI intended any offence to the Muslim religion, after a speech touching on the concept of holy war.

Speaking in Germany, the Pope quoted a 14th Century Christian emperor who said the Prophet Muhammad had brought the world only "evil and inhuman" things.

The remarks have angered clerics and commentators around the Muslim world.

However, the Vatican said the Pope had wanted to make clear that he rejected violence motivated by religion.

The pontiff had not intended to offend Muslims, the Vatican said.

much more at link above.....

You would think he would be smarter than to use that quote,

OC

Definitely shocking. No Muslim cleric would ever say anything to offend Christians!

p.s. The actual quotation (from the Guardian):

<< The row broke out over a lecture given by the Pope on Tuesday at his old university at Regensburg. His central theme was one on which he has touched repeatedly in recent months - the need to reconcile faith and reason.

He quoted from a little-known medieval text recording debates between a Byzantine emperor and an educated Persian. The Pope recalled that the emperor had told his adversary: "Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new, and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

Benedict acknowledged the "startling brusqueness" of the remark, but went on to endorse fully the view that "spreading the faith through violence is something unreasonable". >>

yes they do seem to always have a chip on their shoulder , just looking for something to fight about ,

But why "poke the bear" , you know they are going to be pissed off , The Pope is not stupid , and as head of the "opposing" team needs to be smarter,

To me its the same as the Salmon Rushnie guy , who only wrote a book to piss off the muslims ,

Just out there looking for a fight , and innocent people get caught in the middle , and often die

Pity that religion has to be fought out in public :(

OC

mind altered by too much California Sunshine

I better keep my head down. Angry protests here in Islamabad and the Mullah was really going for it across the street yesterday!

I asked my colleague what he was saying and he said he was speaking about "The oneness of God"... if that's the case, he seemed pretty pissed off about the Oneness of God.

Thanks pope!

Archived