Muslim leaders demand apology from Pope

cavanami

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the news:

Extremists said the pope's comments proved that the West was in a war against Islam.

Al-Qaida in Iraq and its allies said Muslims would be victorious and addressed the pope as "the worshipper of the cross," saying "you and the West are doomed as you can see from the defeat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya and elsewhere. ... We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose the 'jizya' tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (being killed by) the sword."

Islam forbids drinking alcohol and requires non-Muslims to pay the "jizya" tax, though those who convert are exempt. The tax, sometimes called a head tax, has not been imposed in Muslim nations in about 100 years, though Islamic militant groups have tried to force non-Muslims to pay it on a local level in some countries.

"You infidels and despots, we will continue our jihad (holy war) and never stop until God avails us to chop your necks and raise the fluttering banner of monotheism, when God's rule is established governing all people and nations," said the statement by the Mujahedeen Shura Council, an umbrella organization of Sunni Arab extremist groups in Iraq.

Link

Wish there was a way we could put these gentleman into a corner somewhere and ignore them.

So, was there any truth to the words of that 15th century pope? Usually when words provoke a violent reaction its because there is some truth to it. People in denial sometimes react violently when confronted.

Well, Christianity was VERY MUCH spread by the sword in the past!!! The Crusaders were also murdering bastards.

I love this hysteria about Islam being spread by the sword.

I challenge anyone to name a single country that has been converted to Islam by the sword in the past 100 years, or that is likely to be in the near future..

Not a reply to Fidel. Someone once said something to the effect that more death and destruction has come about in the name of religion....

In my opinion, as an Amerian, George W., Bin Laden... same, same. Both claim they are directed by God, neither is concillatory (sp?).

I wish the world could be rid of all these religious fanatics.

Beyond or below, depending upon your perspective, we are all just plain, ordinary people trying our best to get along with our lives.

Fuck Bush, Fuck bin Ladden and all the others who think death and destruction is appropriate for those who are not enlightened as they are.

Name one country that has been 'Christianized' by the sword in the last 100 years. If you go back further though, 1400s 1500s and 1600s you could name many for certain, especially in central and south america, and back further the Muslims were doing the same as well. Neither religion is free from this stain. 1800's in Africa maybe?

It's all ancient history really. The thing is, the christians and catholics are not an aggresive religion really any more (there have been recent exceptions though, but most seem to be retaliations for muslim acts of aggression). Whereas the muslims and their sharia laws seem to have gone back in time a few hundred years, while the christians have moved forward for the most part.

The problem in the world today (even up to recently in Ireland, Fidel) is that religion and religious nutters seem to still hold sway over many governments (yes, including the US I'll add) and people trying to force themselves and their beliefs on the secular minded souls of this planet.

But really, Fidel, when was the last time you heard of christians being threatened with death if they left their faith or wanted to change religions? How many Xtians have had their hands cut off by religious law for stealing? How many catholic women need to fear their priests and laymen when they consider what to wear for clothing in public, and fear being beaten for wearing what they like? I could add more, but there isn't much point. The muslims are the current religion of oppression and the enemy of the people and their freedoms. The fanatical ones and sects that is, not the normal muslims of the world. (Okay, you could argue that the xtians in the white house are doing similar stuff, and I'd have to agree, up to a point.)

Cent

I accept much of what you say about Islam with regard to oppression of it's own followers, particularly women. But it should be kept in mind that Islam has been used as a political tool, the oppression is more about keeping people under control than it is about religion.

At the moment the Pakistanis are trying to reform what is known as the Hudood Ordinances, a law, based on Sharia law, that governs moral issues.

Thousands of women are languishing in shitty prisons because they have been raped, couldn't produce the requisite 4 male witnesses to back them up and are now indefinitely awaiting trial on charges of adultry because they admitted having sex with someone other than a husband.

The thing is, this is no ancient law in Pakistan. It was put in place by a US backed military dictator in the 70s to oppress the people and score brownie points with the extremists, i.e. for politicl purposes.

The US also used Islam for political purposes during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan. And, once again, Islam is being used for polictical purposes by the West and by extremists in the Muslim world.

The US/Brits want people to see Muslims burning effigies on the streets, it gets people in the West riled up.. and behind the troops. The fact of the matter is that the VAST MAJORITY of Muslims are not protesting about the Pope's speech. They couldn't care less. They're not on the streets protesting.

DO u know where the extremists go to protest here in Islamabad? The f**king Islamabad Press Club..

The thing is... so many people in the West are buying it.

Archived