What're u listening to?

Fidel

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shape of Jazz to Come is always on time...

Free Jazz for the beginning of a movement and a HUGE tone on sax. :bow:

Dancing in Your Head for the all out experimental influence of Moroccan music on OC.

The classic quartet by Coltrane is beautiful and subtle no argument here,, but I prefer the raging thunder of Ornette or even Anthony Braxton's early stuff.

Cheers,

theNumbers

Just picked up a Charles Mingus double CD and Ahmad Jamal "live in Paris '92" at a used record shop in the middle of Colorado...

And have been playing Lou Reed's "New York" album and some assorted Furs, and Femmes, plus some Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits thrown in. A great road trip mix...play it at extreme volumes, sing out loud, and be incredibly -- neigh, visciously -- cynical LOL! :grinyes:

A long way from bebop, I know, but I'm eclectic. And the bebop cleanses out the cynicism so one can once again fit back into society when leaving the cocoon of the car.

Cheers,

SD -- cynically trying to not be depressed about no longer being an expat :nono::doah:

PS -- Fidel, when listening to jazz, I like to pick an instrument in a song and just listen to that one, sort of shutting out the others. Repeat for each instrument. You can then get a idea of how each musician plays independently as well as in concert with each other. Don't be scared off by people talking of how well they improvise various major/minor chords (no offense playtheblues), you do not need to know anything about music to just enjoy it.

Just a note about those minor ninth, major sevenths. Some local jazz musicians are said to have left one of the concerts in protest against the quartet seemingly endlessly improvising on only those two chords (I might be wrong about them, my ears are not musically perfect). It's hard to describe Coltrane's/ McCoy Tyner's handling of Richard Rodgers's beautiful song without pointing it out, but of course, and as you say, it's not necessary for enjoying the piece. And as I said, just take it in!

Anthony Braxton...he was connected to the Art Ensemble of Chicago, right? There is another saxo, Charles Tyler, whom I acrually met and talked with in NY in the late seventies.

Maybe both these guys are too much avant-garde for my ears...Coltrane up to 65/66 is about my limit. But I should give them a new chance.

My musical taste is rather main stream.

Fidel, I am not familar with that one.

Archived