What team should I like?

Old Hippie

never thought of you as a MU Fan,good to hear.

my 1st ever Game at OT was in the old 2nd Div in 74.

on holiday as a 14 y.o. in Blackpool and it was my treat to go to OT.

2nd Home Game of the Season and MU won 2-1 against Pompey with McIlroy and Daly scoring.

i also am no gloryhunter after more than 30 Years supporting the Team.

i still laugh when i hear people saying that the great Denis Law relegated us the previous Season.

not true,if Stoke had lost their final Game then MU would have stayed up.

but the barstards managed to get a result and MU were relegated........ :cussing:

but even when MU spent 1 Season in the 2nd Div,they had the best Home attendance of all the Teams in the UK......... :chili:

all these top Teams in the 1st Div thought they were special but couldn't attract the crowds that MU did........... :neener:

and 30 Years later the same Teams cannot compete with our crowds......... :shakehead

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammy Mac Last of Busby's signings.

If my memory serves me correct he made his debut under Frank O'Farrel in the 71-72 Season at a home game against Southampton, or it may have been 70-71 when Busby himself took over again after McGuiness was sacked.

My Great-Great Grandfather used to work for Lancashire & Yorkshire Railways back in the 1870's and in 1878 was one of the founding members of Newton Heath L&YR Football Club, one of the original "Heathens", as I said its in the blood in my family.

No offence to people who are getting into the game now, but I don't think they really understand the meaning of the word Fan(atical).

OH, the premierleague's site has a brief history of all the clubs in the top division and is a good start. Maybe by reading up on some of the history you get a gist of certain clubs and can narrow down a bit. You really should just watch a lot of the league, understand the vagaries of the sport first. Its easier. I didn't get into Arsenal until I understand what the hell was going on and it stopped become just 22 men running around chasing a ball. www.premierleague.com may be a place to start.

Americans play in the league. Fulham has a couple, Reading, Man Yoo had a couple and loaned one out and I think sold the other, not sure, maybe loaned to West Ham. Anyway, you'll end up with a club that fits your personality.

The current League table is as follows after about 5 weeks with my opinions of the pros and cons of each:

1 Portsmouth : Good start but won't be there long.

2 Man Utd : Biggest club in England, but these days a magnet for glory hunters.

3 Chelsea : Wealthiest club courtesy of some Russian billionaire. Never achieved much until recently. Managed very successfully by an odious creep Portuguese.

4 Everton : Lesser of the 2 Liverpool clubs in terms of success. Had a golden era in the 80s and have played more seasons in the top flight than any other club. Prior to the 80s, you have to go back a long way for any real successful period. I have an irrational hatred of them.

5 Aston Villa : nice colours and an American owner. One of the oldest clubs in the world. Won the league in 81 but haven't done much since.

6 Reading : Playing their first ever season in the top division. Forget them, they're nobodies from a crap town who will be gone before long.

7 Bolton : Successful a long time ago. Decades of mediocrity were then followed by reasonable present. Managed by a hideous pig of a man who is quite a good manager.

8 Fulham : owned by the Egyptian who owns Harrods. Never done much and will drop down the divisions when he loses interest. Nice part of London but a nothing club.

9 Liverpool : Most successful club in English history and one of he most successful in Europe. I grew up hating them as they were so unbeatable. Now a magnet for glory hunters.

10 Newcastle : Largely unsuccessful in recent decades, they do have a large and fanatical fan base. Forget understanding a word they say though.

11 Arsenal : Traditionally the biggest London club. Always very astutely run. These days the team has few, if any, British players and is managed by a Frenchman who has been very successful.

12 West Ham : Mighty Mighty Hammers. Never had much league success, but a breeding ground for some of the top English talent. Traditionally play attractive attacking football, often neglecting to defend. Large fanatical fanbase. Best atmosphere in London.

13 Blackburn : Won the league in 95 thanks to a millionaire's money, but nothing much else since the war. Ugly football. Ugly town.

14 Middlesbrough : Never achieved much. Grimey town. Nobodies.

15 Wigan : Smallest club in the division. Very smart manager who has a talent for overachieving. Will be gone and forgotten about once he goes.

16 Tottenham : Long been known as the Jewish club (which isn't why I hate them). Largish London club whose fans live on past glories. Scum.

17 Man City : Once the main club in Manchester, they are well and truely in Uts'd shadow. Not much success and no glory hunters, just a dedicated and long suffering fanbase.

18 Charlton : Innocuous London club. Hard to have strong feelings about them. Not really achieved much.

19 Watford : Formerly owned by Elton John. Not much else to say about them.

20 Sheff Utd : Were one of the big teams of the 70s. Not done a lot since. Will probably get relegated again.

Guest lazyphil

who remembers jumpers as goal posts playing all day on the rec avoiding the dog turds in the twilight before heading home....them were the days.....or listening to liverpool in europe on the radio with john motson......... panini stickers :cool: where/when did my love of football go :(:dunno:

Guest lazyphil

Cambridge United are to be avoided, they had a glimmer of hope with Dion Dublin, then they sold him, all went tits up :(

my bro in law is a happy chappy being a pompy born and bred fan, lets see after xmas!

The current League table is as follows after about 5 weeks with my opinions of the pros and cons of each:

1 Portsmouth : Good start but won't be there long.

2 Man Utd : Biggest club in England, but these days a magnet for glory hunters.

3 Chelsea : Wealthiest club courtesy of some Russian billionaire. Never achieved much until recently. Managed very successfully by an odious creep Portuguese.

4 Everton : Lesser of the 2 Liverpool clubs in terms of success. Had a golden era in the 80s and have played more seasons in the top flight than any other club. Prior to the 80s, you have to go back a long way for any real successful period. I have an irrational hatred of them.

5 Aston Villa : nice colours and an American owner. One of the oldest clubs in the world. Won the league in 81 but haven't done much since.

6 Reading : Playing their first ever season in the top division. Forget them, they're nobodies from a crap town who will be gone before long.

7 Bolton : Successful a long time ago. Decades of mediocrity were then followed by reasonable present. Managed by a hideous pig of a man who is quite a good manager.

8 Fulham : owned by the Egyptian who owns Harrods. Never done much and will drop down the divisions when he loses interest. Nice part of London but a nothing club.

9 Liverpool : Most successful club in English history and one of he most successful in Europe. I grew up hating them as they were so unbeatable. Now a magnet for glory hunters.

10 Newcastle : Largely unsuccessful in recent decades, they do have a large and fanatical fan base. Forget understanding a word they say though.

11 Arsenal : Traditionally the biggest London club. Always very astutely run. These days the team has few, if any, British players and is managed by a Frenchman who has been very successful and dispelled their old reputation for being boring.

12 West Ham : Mighty Mighty Hammers. Never had much league success, but a breeding ground for some of the top English talent. Traditionally play attractive attacking football, often neglecting to defend. Large fanatical fanbase. Best atmosphere in London.

13 Blackburn : Won the league in 95 thanks to a millionaire's money, but nothing much else since the war. Ugly football. Ugly town.

14 Middlesbrough : Never achieved much. Grimey town. Nobodies.

15 Wigan : Smallest club in the division. Very smart manager who has a talent for overachieving. Will be gone and forgotten about once he goes.

16 Tottenham : Long been known as the Jewish club (which isn't why I hate them). Largish London club whose fans live on past glories. Scum. Forget them unless you want fans of every other club to hate you.

17 Man City : Once the main club in Manchester, they are well and truely in Uts'd shadow. Not much success and no glory hunters, just a dedicated and long suffering fanbase.

18 Charlton : Innocuous London club. Hard to have strong feelings about them. Not really achieved much.

19 Watford : Formerly owned by Elton John. Not much else to say about them.

20 Sheff Utd : Were one of the big teams of the 70s. Not done a lot since. Will probably get relegated again.

HTH

I'll add my little extra's to Barry's post to give OH some additional things to consider.

1 Portsmouth : Good start but won't be there long. (CS: In my humble opinion, the best fans in the leauge, they sing whether they are up 5-0 or down 5-0...its said fans ultimately get the club they deserve but I think Pompey fans may prove that adage wrong)

2 Man Utd : Biggest club in England, but these days a magnet for glory hunters. (CS: Only problem OH is that even if you genuinely love them and pick them as your club, you'll have a lot of american band wagoners as fellow fans and you'll automatically be thought of as a glory hunter. Basically its like coming to America and picking the Yankees. Its seen as a lazy pick for those who don't know 'soccer' and if you pick them I won't be your friend any more ; )

3 Chelsea : Wealthiest club courtesy of some Russian billionaire. Never achieved much until recently. Managed very successfully by an odious creep Portuguese. (CS: The oligarch has spent well over 1 billion..yes, that's billion...american dollars over the last few years since he's bought the club. This includes debt, players, etc. they are champions the last 2 and have been accused of 'buying' the title. You can make your own mind up; my issue is that they don't stop there but have also done some unethical and illegal things as well. They have the money and don't need to. long time fans are happy because they had a 'bosox'-like wait for the title--1955 was their only title)

4 Everton : Lesser of the 2 Liverpool clubs in terms of success. Had a golden era in the 80s and have played more seasons in the top flight than any other club. Prior to the 80s, you have to go back a long way for any real successful period. I have an irrational hatred of them. (other than my beloved Arsenal, they have the longest run in the top division. i think 1954. very working class club. the residents of liverpool are known as 'scousers' and have the same reputation as the bowery boys of the lower east side of old. if they were from philly, they'd be from south philly)

5 Aston Villa : nice colours and an American owner. One of the oldest clubs in the world. Won the league in 81 but haven't done much since. (the cleveland browns owner now owns them. located in birmingham, an industrial, manufacturing city from decades ago. in the middle of england known as the midlands. has reasonable good history but no recent success)

6 Reading : Playing their first ever season in the top division. Forget them, they're nobodies from a crap town who will be gone before long. (CS: if you want a david to the leagues goliaths, then its reading. they have an american on their squad as well if that means anything to you. they play an exciting brand of football as well, attack oriented)

7 Bolton : Successful a long time ago. Decades of mediocrity were then followed by reasonable present. Managed by a hideous pig of a man who is quite a good manager. (known as a tough, gritty club now under their present owner. located in the pennines, near manchester. north england.)

8 Fulham : owned by the Egyptian who owns Harrods. Never done much and will drop down the divisions when he loses interest. Nice part of London but a nothing club. (CS: owned by the father of the guy who was dating princess di and died with her in that tragic car crash. small club, not supported much if at all outside of their west london neighborhood. they are very near chelsea in location. has two americans on their squad who start for our national side)

9 Liverpool : Most successful club in English history and one of he most successful in Europe. I grew up hating them as they were so unbeatable. Now a magnet for glory hunters. (them and the beatles are jokingly said are the only 2 things liverpool is good for. an important port city decades ago. one of the traditional big 3 of english football --man yoo and arsenal the others..)

10 Newcastle : Largely unsuccessful in recent decades, they do have a large and fanatical fan base. Forget understanding a word they say though. (located in the northeast of england and is the center of the coal mining industry in england. was always known as a tough city but has recently been known as a party town, with lots of bars, clubs and restaurants near the docks that used to ship coal to all regions. the residents are known as 'geordies' and the club are sometimes referred to as the 'toon' which is how the geordies pronounce the word 'town'. one of my favorite phrases which is equivalent to our 'you don't bring sand to the beach', 'you don't bring coal to newcastle'. )

11 Arsenal : Traditionally the biggest London club. Always very astutely run. These days the team has few, if any, British players and is managed by a Frenchman who has been very successful and dispelled their old reputation for being boring. (CS: i'll try to be objective but we are the biggest club in london in terms of fans and the only london side that has a fairly wide support accross england, hence we're one of the traidional big 3. we play the most exciting soccer in england and one of the most exciting in europe as well. was known as the 'bank of england' in the old days and was the first english club to have all foreign players start a game, as well as an all black outfield players (except goalkeeper) and recently became the first club in europe to field all 11 starting players from 11 different countries...yes, england was one of them...located in north london, been in the top division for decades, since 1919 i think if memory serves me right and NEVER been relegated to the lower division.)

12 West Ham : Mighty Mighty Hammers. Never had much league success, but a breeding ground for some of the top English talent. Traditionally play attractive attacking football, often neglecting to defend. Large fanatical fanbase. Best atmosphere in London. (CS: located in east london where the cockney talk is most famous. they had one of the biggest hooligan grops when hooliganism was at its height, called the 'inner city firm'. also known in the old days to have a large skinhead following. basically epitomizes working class london, and speak with what we know in america as the dickens cockney accent.)

13 Blackburn : Won the league in 95 thanks to a millionaire's money, but nothing much else since the war. Ugly football. Ugly town. (CS: has an ameircan goalkeeper, located in the north of england near bolton and manchester as well, not much else about them).

14 Middlesbrough : Never achieved much. Grimey town. Nobodies. (CS: sometimes called 'Boro but pronounced 'barah', won their first trophy a couple years ago for the 1st time in their history. the england national coach came from 'Boro. from the north of england)

15 Wigan : Smallest club in the division. Very smart manager who has a talent for overachieving. Will be gone and forgotten about once he goes. (CS: from the far north of england, wigan was known more for rugby than football until recently, was the 'cinderalla' club last season as their first season in the top division was marked by good success in terms of wins and their final place in the league)

16 Tottenham : Long been known as the Jewish club (which isn't why I hate them). Largish London club whose fans live on past glories. Scum. Forget them unless you want fans of every other club to hate you. (Arsenal's neighbors in north London, which has a large jewish population, their fans were called 'yids' and the supporters have embraced the term and called themselves 'yiddos' akin to black s here in teh states embracing the N word as their own. strange thing is Arsenal is in a jewish area as well and our club is predominantly jewish as well, but our owners are the etonian, fully integrated into society, jewish in name only types so maybe that's why we aren't know as the same but i digress, tottenham have a rabid fan base and support their team in good times or bad, first club to win both the title and the fa cup..the worlds oldest soccer competiton..in 1961...were known for playing attacking football until arsenal took that from them...hehehehe...)

17 Man City : Once the main club in Manchester, they are well and truely in Uts'd shadow. Not much success and no glory hunters, just a dedicated and long suffering fanbase. (CS: Oasis band member is a big supporter. its said that more people support 'citeh' as they are known in manchester than manchester united. not sure if its true but i wouldn't be surprised.)

18 Charlton : Innocuous London club. Hard to have strong feelings about them. Not really achieved much. (located in southeast london i think, not much to them, one of the smaller clubs in london)

19 Watford : Formerly owned by Elton John. Not much else to say about them. (CS: located about 20 minutes or so north of London, they are a small club who finally made it back up to the top division, not much history but a small plucky club).

20 Sheff Utd : Were one of the big teams of the 70s. Not done a lot since. Will probably get relegated again. (located in sheffield england a working class city, and the club was like their city. not much success the last couple decades)

HTH

Archived