Nervous_Dog

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai PM Dismisses Possibility Of Military Takeover

· By Patrick Barta

· Of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL ASIA

·

¶ NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Thai caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra dismissed any possibility of a military takeover in his country, adding that a recent assassination attempt - while possibly linked to members of the Thai military - was "not a coup."

¶ (This story and related background material will be available on The Wall Street Journal Web site, WSJ.com.)

¶ "I know there are those who really support me and those who are against me," he said. But he suggested that any opposition from the military was confined to rogue elements in its ranks or older generals that don't represent the wishes of the broader Thai armed forces.

¶ He also dismissed the possibility that Thailand's revered king or his advisors are playing any meaningful role in the country's political drama.

¶ "His Majesty is not really involved in politics. We should not bring him into politics," he said. Some analysts believe that Thailand's king has given his tacit endorsement to military coups in Thailand in past decades.

·-0-

Archived