Thai Breakfast

Again ... summaries of (paraphrased) posts from old board:

Being an American, my breakfast consists of one of two things: cereal or oatmel, and the standard 2 eggs, homefries and toast. I'm curious what folks living in Thailand do for breakfast...since i heard that some condos, hotels, etc...don't have kitchens. What is the Thai breakfast like? Or what do you, as an ex-pat, like to have there for breakfast? Is there places that serve the American style breakfast? Cheerios!

Congee with pork and preserved egg. Keeps you going well into the day and a spring in your step.

For breakfast try kao tam guy, gung or moo (rice soup with chicken, shrimp ,or pork) with or with out egg. Joak (thick rice soup or congee served with ground pork, ginger, and onions) is even better. Or try Thai omlet with steam rice. Actually you can order most any Thai dish anytime of the day. Also plenty of fresh fruits and juices available.

Very simple:

Scrambled eggs, bacon, saucages and toast. With black coffee and orange juice.

Any half decent hotel in BKK will have this in their breakfast buffet.

In Thailand it's called american breakfast for some strange reason. In Europe it's usually called English breakfast.

Tea, Tea and more tea. Occasionally a good old english.american breakfast at somewhere like Chequers on Soi 4.

I could not handle on a regular basis the typical Thai breakfast.

My GF was rushed to hospital a coupple of months ago when she collapsed at a skytrain station early one morning. At the hospital the doctor asked her what she ha had for breakfast -- bowl of cereal, 4 slices of toat and coffee. Weel no wonder you collapsed said the doctor. That is no way to start the day. You have eat something

When I'm staying with my wife's family we usually have fried bread and hot soya milk, more like a chinese breakfast but very popular in Thailand, VERY early and then an hour or so after that they bring on the real food. Rice and whatever else they feel like.

Archived