Those shrimps

I would've posted this before but I've only just overcome my shyness.

Have you ever seen the street/cart vendors that have a fish tank full of shrimps on the Bicyclete?

I ordered some when I was sitting in front of the Hare and Hounds in Soi Cowboy with my G/F. The lady busied herself with veges and garlic

and chili and sauces and cooking and such and finally presented me with a closed polystyrene box with my meal inside. Well...

I opened the box and found all contained therein well cooked and flavoured, except the shrimps! They had been put in live and raw on top of the steaming vege/garlic mix. And they didn't like it!

So it was shrimps flicking themselves out of the box with their tails and there's one in my beer, one in my ashtray, one in my eye, one in the cleavage of the G/F, you get the picture..

Curiously the meal was delicious, until 4 hours later.

I have had an upset tract or two but this was a doozy, not for 3 weeks did it go away.

And when I'm back home I worked out what I should of in the first instance. Those shrimps probably came out of a local klong and not being cooked the bacteria in the shrimps guts was live and kicking.

Moral: make sure your food is well cooked, toxins from dead bacteria can upset you but the live bacteria can colonize you (partial pun there).

Well I enjoyed writing this

blush.gif" border="0)

I have tried that particular noodle dish once at the same location. The little buggers get everywhere.

I would agree that it is probably a dish to avoid to lower the risk of a stomach problem.

They swim in that 'water' all day in the heat.

i certainly would not brush my teeth using the water.

However in general the street food is terrific and should be tried by everyone who comes to town

laugh.gif" border="0

i'm given to understand that you take big risks by having food from street vendors although this is just generalisation as some are as good as first class restaurants as well as being cheap.

however; any food should be well cooked or you ask for big, big trouble.

Phiketpete,

I think that street food in Thailand is generally more hygenic than in many other Asian countries, at least as far as bacteria are concerned.

But can you imagine what all the pollution in the Bangkok air does to the food? All the grey smog settling down on the openly displayed food 'enhances' it with a lot of heavy metals.

Heavy metals accumulate in the body and can cause serious liver and kidney damage, and heaven knows what else. I myself never touch food which is displayed openly by a busy roadside. cool.gif" border="0

Archived