fried insects

I like the Locusts, great with beer.

The cockroaches, beetles and other grubs taste like motor oil only not as sweet.

Crispy frog skin is really quite nice.

Crocodile, very good and King Cobra also good.

cool.gif" border="0

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to be a culinary spoilsport, but may I point out that the locusts you relish so much are probably killed with DDT. Needless to say, the DDT gets into your system and can create all kinds of havoc. Happy munching! cool.gif" border="0

Now I know why the eggs of my latest clutch are thinner than normal and my chicks mortality on hatching higher than one would expect.

But seriously, you've raised an issue here, and on consultation with the old trout, I discover that you are probably quite right.

Sprayed locusts, deep fried, anything for a couple of baht. Even if it's not DDT, it can't be good for you.

I will avoid these in the future.

cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

One query re bug eating. Does the smell of them linger? I noticed after eating crocodile that for several days after when using the boys room there was a definite odour of croc from poo. Also suffered from croc flavoured farts. Didn't have any lingering after effects from snake.

I could never bring myself to eat bugs, not from any ethical stance but 'cos I used to live for years in a house in Blighty which was infested by roaches. It was bad enough going to the lav at night and standing on them in the dark, (and for that alone I hate them with a vengeance as they ruined my formative years as they scared many a g/friend I took home), but to actually take one of the suckers to your lips and pop it in your gullet would induce barfing. mad.gif" border="0

Suk,

locusts taste like what you fry them in, and are much like crisps.

The roaches et al, well find a car engine that has oil and dirt all over it. Get your index finger and collect a little of the gloop from near the bottom of the engine. Eat this.

Much better than the roaches I tried.

sweeter even... cool.gif" border="0

To Sukhumvit:

Well, the croc-flavoured farts will probably keep all other animals away, which comes quite handy when navigating through packs of dogs late night in a Bangkok soi.

As a second benefit, crocodile meat is regarded by many Chinese as a remedy for asthma.

Cough, cough, I'm vegetarian. SB laugh.gif" border="0

Hey WA

What's the deal with moose? Crunchy, fatty, like chicken only different? Or do you worship them and not eat them up in the boonies? Personally I worship the beaver...

I think I might pop over to your bar actually to take advantage of the thread where you I can shake off this newbie status

Coss, maybe you've identified a niche in the Isaan food market - garage grub. Invite the local construction workers in to eat coq au oil-sump or chilli dipsticks.

tongue.gif" border="0

To Bikini_Line:

As this is a discussion about insects, let me answer in line with the subject:

Yesterday's locust is eaten, digested and forgotten!

Now we probably got the Thai secret service (if there is such a thing) and the CIA trying to figure this one out!

Till later, SB

laugh.gif" border="0

[ May 19, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived