Patta Suki

I would be remiss if I didn't tell y'all about Pata Suki at Pata Binglau (sp?)

Suki Yaki a la´ Thai is one of my favourite hangover cures. For those who have yet to sample the delights of Suki Yaki I'll relate a description below.

In a donut shaped pot with a little chimney over a flame some mild stock is simmered. You order a range of vegetables and things like prawns, fish, liver, noodles, and pork etc, which are all delivered on small plates uncooked.

These are cooked in the simmering stock and when done, you dip into a sauce that can best be described as a vaguely tomato flavoured roast chilli concoction, with herbs (the usual suspects) and a raw egg.

This really is good stuff and you can find it at Pata Binglau. If you stand in front of the department store, Pata Suki is down the small soi at the left of the building towards the back (30m). Big fish tanks inside and a Zoo on the roof of the department store.

cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

[ May 22, 2001: Message edited by: coss ]

I'm not an expert on Sukiyaki, but the Department Store that you mention is called Pata Pinklao (as in the Pinklao Bridge for example).

Another option to avail of your hangover cure are the many branches of Coca Restaurant. Their Soo-kee (as the Thais pronounce it) is quite popular. cool.gif" border="0

Pata Pinklao, you're right, thanks for that, I learnt the name from the sound of it, therein the bad spelling.

Coca Restaurant? Many branches? any near Sukhumvit or Silom?

One branch of Coca that springs to mind is at the eastern end of Siam Square, in Henri Dunant Rd., just around the corner of Rama 1 Rd.. Coca are all over the country, I recently went to one branch in Phuket Town. Their logo is a red, steaming bowl (of Suki I guess). cool.gif" border="0

I've had something very similar if not the same dish in the basement eating area of the Robinson store nearest to the Thermae.

Also you can get the same sort of donut shaped dish with a melange of fish in a stew in Vietnam. The place I had it, (Ho Coc Beach just up the coast from Vung Tau), called it a Steamboat.

Sukhumvit

Yes steamboat is a very popular dish also, coming from the Chinese end of Asia, Suki Yaki is the Japanese iteration and the Thai version is the one I like the best.

cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

Archived