What is " Nam Prik " in english?

anyone know how can i say " Nam Prik" in english? It make from chillies and spices and some ingredients for making curry and eat with vegetables...any words easier than this?

BL

quote:

Originally posted by Falang:

Is this the one who is sweet with lot of chillies flake in it?

yes something like that...but most of " Nam Prik " is not sweet...it taste very hot ,salt,sour...mmm savory!

quote:

Originally posted by Bikini_Line:

anyone know how can i say " Nam Prik" in english? It make from chillies and spices and some ingredients for making curry and eat with vegetables...any words easier than this?

BL

And if they don't know what shrimp paste is just ask for MSG with essence of sun baked amphibious cockroach paste

quote:

Originally posted by Adik Gede:

And if they don't know what shrimp paste is just ask for MSG with essence of sun baked amphibious cockroach paste

Have you ate that before?

quote:

Originally posted by Bikini_Line:

Have you ate that before?

Well I have had fried cockroaches before when I was exploring the frozen foods section of a Lao market in San Francisco with a Khmer friend. His girlfriend insisted that cockroaches could be substituted for shrimp when making shrimp paste, and our blind taste tests seemed to confirm it. Ever since then I think I have become sensatised to shrimp paste. While I accept that life would not be possible without it, at least in South East Asia. My basic instinct is that when you kill something you should eat it quickly lest it wake up and kill you back. My other favourite food is salted fish which to me smells like a rotting corpse. Before you ask I have never eaten a rotting corpse, that I know of, but I have smelled one.

If you ask for nam pric in Thailand you will get fish sauce with sliced hot peppers in it. Fish sauce is not really a sauce, but rather a very salty liquid that has been used for fermenting fish. It does smell bad, but is to a Thai what salt is to a farang. It is amber in color.

Gary

Sometimes the table doesn't have the bottle of nam plah on it and I guess they just assume I want salt.

As long as they don't bring me pahlah, I'll be happy.

Never have I smelled anything as vile as that stuff. I don't have anything to even compare it with.

Gary

Archived