Lao coffee in BKK

Anyone know of a good place to buy a cup of Lao coffee in Bangkok? I have happy memories of cups of good strong coffee for breakfast in Vientiane.

Is it just me or do the Thais adulterate their coffee with something. I seem to remember someone telling me they put cardoman pods in the grinder...... can't quite recall (I was very, very drunk!!!!)

PS I like to smoke a cigarette with my coffee so please don't suggest Starf**ks.

It's proper coffee made with a sort of bag-like filter. I know you can get something similar in LOS but it tastes "strange".

The coffee in Lao was like coffee should taste, and it really kickstarted my day.

I am addicted to Kopico sweets as they have the taste but I just can't find that taste in a cup.

Alholk,

French Connection

Yes the french left a lot of civilised culinary culture in Laos. There are quite a few good French restaurants in Vientiane.

My favourite is near the big fountain, could be a bistro in provence, French owned, pretty expensive but very authentic. My gf asked for a white wine and soda..... the waiter nearly cried when he poured the soda in and said it was the first time he had done it and asked Bacchus to forgive his transgression.

They serve a mean crayfish and garlic butter,

about 7 dollars but a welcome change from som tam.

Just asked the gf what the coffee was we ordered with our french breadsticks each morning, she said "cafae tung". I know you can get that in BKK but it really is different in Laos.

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: coquetislander ]

Hi!

coquetislande

Good information. I have never been to Laos but I have been to Saigon there was definitely a French touch to many of the dishes I ate there.

I can see the waiter in front of when your gf oderd soda water with her wine. On my first trip to France nearly 30 years ago I went with friends to ski in Val d'Isere. One evening we went to a real fancy restaurant and ordered fancy french food. One of my friends asked for ketchup and the waiter looked at him with a horrified expression on his face. He said no ketchup and walked away. smile.gif" border="0

regards

ALHOLK

quote:

Originally posted by ALHOLK:

Hi!

Laos being a former French colony may have picked up some civilized coffee culture.

regards

ALHOLK

Yes indeed. Fresh coffee and fresh french bread (they called it khaoniao farang = french sticky rice where I stayed) are common in the small country.

Cheers.

You can buy a cup of "Lao coffee" from numerous street vendors all over the city. 10 baht a cup with a free glass of water to boot.

Archived