Bourbon Street Blues

Roger

After all this time in Bangkok I eventually got around to going to eat at Bourbon Street, Washington Square. It was Saturday night and, accompanied by a couple of mates we ignored the "reservations recommended" warning on their website. No problem on that front, the place was deserted. Maybe half a dozen tables occupied at the most.

After sitting down and ordering it soon became clear as to why it was so empty, we were expecting some good old Cajun Blue Grass sounds to be coming out of the speakers to give it that authentic atmosphere. What we got was a middle aged Thai guy playing a bontempi organ whilst his 65 year old (or so she looked) partner sang such classics as "Morning has Broken" and "Killing me Softly"!!!!!. All I can say is that it was extremely embarrassing to watch and listen to them go through their very poor routine.

The food was excellent as I expected it would be, but we ate it at double speed so that we could escape from the musical (not the correct adjective) torture.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal for a Saturday night? Or is the manager on holiday...He has lost three return customers, all for the sake of not putting on some decent music....

Roger

Unfortunately I too have experienced the atrocious musical ability of this duo. I just went last night (Tuesday) and there was no band in sight. This may be your best alternative. The owner at least needs to get a few tapes from his old home town to provide the entertainment.

He's usually sitting right there at the bar so if the music offends your ear, I would tell him. Save him from losing customers.

Don't know about the music. I only go to Bourbon Street for dinner and sit at the counter because I am sweet on Biew, one of the waitresses, 23-years-old, I think. The owner's name is Doug if you need to talk to him. but, come on, guys, this is Bangkok, forget food and music and concentrate on what is important. ;-)

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Sombat:

come on, guys, this is Bangkok, forget food and music and concentrate on what is important. ;-)

Cheers!

Very sorry Sombat, for a moment I thought I had entered this in the "FOOD" section of the forum...my mistake.

Cheers!

I once took a girl to just a terrific college football game. After the game, I asked her if she enjoyed it, and she responded she's never going back to that stadium. I asked her why? She proclaimed that the half-time show sucked. I guess it comes down to what part of the elephant is important to you.

quote:

Originally posted by cardinalblue:

I guess it comes down to what part of the elephant is important to you.

For the prices they charge at Bourbon Street you should get the whole elephant!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems like alot of people are prepared to accept second best..

Roger

The food is very good but agree is over-priced in relationship to other similiar establishments. They could improve their atmoshpere by making it feel more "cajun"; would be a selling card as they have very little competition at this point. An opportunity is there for the taking! Need to captialize.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived