Ideal Cheap Meals

I've heard about the:

39 baht breakfasts at Foodland ( 7-9am ?).

I know about the:

Cuttlefish, meat/fishballs, chicken bits and other delicacies on a barbecued stick (5 - 15 baht almost everywhere).

Insects in a paper cone aren't that delicious (apart from the locusts which I quite like).

Tell me more, I'm a bit of a Gourmande´ and I need educating in the art of where to find the best and cheapest food.

And with out causing offense, please don't tell me about specials at McGonads or Kentucky Fxzxed Chicken, I'm looking for cheap indigenous goodies..

Well this isn't exactly off the beaten track and it's no good for breakfasts either unless you didn't go to bed that night but the small soi off Patpong 2 full of food stalls has some excellent meals. Not the cheapest street food in BKK at 30 baht a portion but a good selection, decent helpings, tasty and extremely convenient.

If you're in Patpong anyway it's worth checking out. Some nights there appeared to be more stalls than others, but they were always busy, nearly all Thai customers, and surprisingly for Patpong, the vendors didn't appear to speak any English, giving prices in Thai.

I'm a relative newcomer to street food myself and I'm sure there are FAR better places than this for authentic stuff but it's just that it's so convenient, I for one am glad I found it. I'll be following this thread with interest, I would like to know more places like that too.

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: DJ1999J ]

On my last trip the girlfriend would excuse herself to go out on the street and "get food". On several occasions she brought back chicken kabobs bought on the street outside Nana Plaza. Absolutely delicious and cheap,cheap,cheap. Highly recommended. About a dollar fifty will feed you well.

I just spent six months in Pattaya and my favorite street food was the boiled chicken on rice. The meal consisted of steamed rice with about 3 onces of sliced chicken with no skin or fat, garnished with parsley and sliced cucumbers, a cup of chicken broth soup amd a cup of ice water,all for 25 baht about $.60. You could add satay sauce to your liking and eat green onions to your content. Not a big meal but some of us have to watch our weight since youth and beauty has left long ago.

quote:

Originally posted by coss:

[QB]I've heard about the:

39 baht breakfasts at Foodland ( 7-9am ?).

QB]

I was walking on Sukhumvit around soi 8 heading Ekkamai looking for an internetplace first we of may, when they had a 4 days we again, so the internetplaces i found were closed.

I was hungry and would have eaten anything at the next foodstall. No, my gf turned around and ordered me to follow her. To my horror she directed me to soi 5 foodland...the worst eating place in all Thailand.

My gf invited me at her place, a small sub-soi deep in soi 23. The first 3x3 m room at her place is occupied by a small family. The man named Nan cooks some food at his doorstep. He makes the biggest, hottest, cheapest Tom Yam Kung I ever tasted in 20 trips to LOS. His wife makes very hot Som Tam and i had lots of other stuff to diversify (can not remember names of dishes)

One day he decided not to work. My gf said: we eat in my loom, give 200 baht. She went of with a friend (female). They returned with sticky rice, som tam, nnodles, vegetables, beer and other drinks.

She invited the next room living lady, spread some plastic plates, forks and spoons on the floor and started feeding me whilst chatting with the 3 other ladies.

This was the most enjoyable meal ever, and yes, she handed 25 baht change back to me.

One of my all time favourites is gay pad kapaew - it's the chicken fried with thai basil and plenty of chiilie, usually served with rice on the side with a fried egg on top - outstanding. All thai's will tell you the best ones are from roadside vendors as opposed to smart restaurants...

one good area is called 'cosy corner' - it's along Sukhumvit down the soi opposite the end of Thong Loh road - roadside stalls, cheap and good, note the amount of customers and the mercs etc. open late for post pub pick me ups (foodwise i mean).

my usual lunch spot is along Prachautit rd in Huay Khwang, not far from the Number One driving range. You'll see all the shops get busy for lunch...... you're looking at around 35 baht for roast pork and some deep fried pork with rice, and light broth soup, and ice tea. yum yum. loadsa noodles obviously..

other favourites : one similair to the chicken you mention is kay tod - this is fried chicken on rice with the soup etc. The rice is cooked with chicken broth or something, hence the extra flavour.

i almost forgot - sayklock isaan (english is terrible for writing thai words). Small roundish sausage balls, barbecued. The pork is fermented, so tastes different and extremely good. Comes with whole prik khi nu (rat shit chillies), ginger and salad (chinese) leaf.

and look out for nam prik plaa tuu ... a classic thai dish, apparently the fish used to be dirt cheap til the well off found out how good they taste....

damn, here i am in australia at a gas processing plant with a canteen with a roast meat fetish and a 'if it can be deep fried, it will be' motto.

cheerio

quote:

Originally posted by coss:

Tell me more, I'm a bit of a Gourmande´ and I need educating in the art of where to find the best and cheapest food.

OK, for street food:

If you're not on a diet, try the fried bananas with yellow syrup/sauce, sweet and delicious. Also the fried dough (?) balls covered in sesame seeds are served warm, sweet and yummie. Yes, I like sweet snacks and my favorite is sliced mango with sweet rice. Don't forget baby bananas, many varieties, and all sweeter than the larger style. Of course, the old stand by, sliced pinapple with salt and I absolutely love the fresh sqeezed OJ, available all over. Bon Apetite, Guido.

A nice compromise between tasty, cheap road-side stalls and plush, air-conditioned restaurants, is the food court, found at the top of most shopping centres.

I went to the one in Sukhumvit Soi 2 recently and was pleasantly surprised. Although the shops are usually deserted, at lunchtime there are lots of office workers eating in the food court. Tasty, cheap, lots of choice, but with the added comfort of aircon when you need it.

Archived