shakeup of visa and immigration rules

Old Hippie

I'm confused !! But it's not hard to confuse me.

My passport shows 10 or 11 "visits" so far this year.

As I figure it, if I'm barred for 90 days there will be 2 "Very" unhappy people....but at least My Bank Manager will be smiling :grinyes::grinyes:

Cheers DS

Dumsoda,

As I read it before, the number of stamps doesn't matter as long as you have no more than 90 days within a 6 month period...starting October 1st? or whenever it starts(ed). I think there are/were indications that there could be some exceptions to this as well...as of Now, I am not directly effected...last year could have been a problem...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Suadum,

"to extend a non-immigrant visa for up to 12 months from the date of the last entry into Thailand"

I think this means 'if you try to get a year extension on your original one year Imm O marriage visa while in Thailand'. It shouldn't be a problem if you go back home when your year is up and get another Imm O in the west/where ever. At least this is how I am reading it.

Go to Thailand from the home country with an Imm O and stay one year with the 90 day 'step outside the country' renewal. But if you try to renew for a year while still in Thailand you need to show/leap the 'extra' hurdles to get another year renewal. :dunno: I hope that is what they are saying anyway.

Cent

The whole thing is as clear as mud...your take on it sounds good ...

Let's see...why do I want to live, invest, get married to a Thai or start a business in Thailand?

...can't legally own property

...being married doesn't get me a work visa

...being married doesn't automatically get me any visa

...if, I invest, I can get a visa...ohhhh, no more

...I will start a business, ohhh, I have to have a Thai partner with him holding 51%

...I can buy a condo, but that doesn't get me a visa

Maybe the Thai government can make it more unattractive if they work on it a little more :cussing:

...can't legally own property

...being married doesn't get me a work visa

...being married doesn't automatically get me any visa

...if, I invest, I can get a visa...ohhhh, no more

...I will start a business, ohhh, I have to have a Thai partner with him holding 51%

...I can buy a condo, but that doesn't get me a visa

That is exactly the point!!!

Thai Logic doesn't match with logic of succesful people! Just assume what would happen if they blacklist you for obvious visa runs! The real estate market will go downhill and so will all related business like furniture stores, construction companies etc...

I can understand that they don't want Farang companies to take over the country! This is how the Thais think! They should allow foreign companies to build their factories, stores, malls, hotels, business academies etc. and let them hold 100% of the ownership but therefore they should make it a requirement to have at least 80% thai employees. That brings money and quality into the country. creates employment and creates OFFICIAL taxes! Foreign companies will come anyways and the 51% thai ownership regulation is just another loophole to cheat the government! We know it and they know it, what they are doing is scratching on the surface and not catching the real problem! I don't understand thai logic, I never will!

The country would be a dumphole without the ILLEGAL farang investors and companies! Who would the girls sell their body to? Who would buy the rice the farmers grow etc. Thailand depends strongly on the tourism, how could this country be attractive enough for mass tourism???

Maybe Immigration is being bribed to eff things up by the Malaysian government, who make it very easy to live and invest there. Wouldn't the Thai govmt be surprised if everyone just buggered off to Malaysia? (A nice enough country, but not exactly my first choice ... especially with a Thai wife who is a civil servant and ain't about to resign.)

Wonder how this 3-month in the bank will affect folks already on retirement visas. I have a friend who should find out next week. He's been here over 20 years and has 5 or 6 million baht he keeps in 5% interest promisary notes. He transfers 800,000 into a crap paying ordinary bank account whenever he renews his retirement visa. He says if they want him to keep that 800,000 in an account at only 1.5 to 2% interest, they had damn well better pay him the difference!

I hoe your friend is not holding his breath to get a higher interest!

I was told earlier this year that the proceudre was, xfer the $$$ in to the Thai account, get the visa and then xfer the $$$ back out, like the next day.

Can't blsme the Thai folks for wanting to keep the $$$ here but come on, they need to get real...is this 2006 or 1406???

Time to move on and get the country into the new era.

as a grey haired guy looking to retire in the third world Malaysia is looking better & better

they actually have government programs to help farangs retirees ..

http://www.imi.gov.my/ENG/im_MalaysiaMy2Home.asp

Malaysian Government welcome foreign nationals (except Israel, Yugoslavia, Serbia and Montenegro ) to stay in Malaysia on a long term Social Visit Pass under the "MALAYSIA - MY SECOND HOME PROGRAMME" and duration of stay is for a period of five(5) years with a Multiple Entry Visa..

I have a Malay partner and have been doing business in Malaysia for over five years and not too bad.

I like T'land better, but at some point with all the Thai BS, I may say, f'it, not worth the hassle!

Kuala Lumpur (Puchong) is where we operate out of and it is OK. Good rapid train system, but the beer is too expensive (100 Rm for a case, 24 cans of Carlsberg) :mad:

The irony here is that the average Thai would benefit tremendously if they got rid of all of these restrictions.

Too many people, Westeners included, think of these issues as zero-sum games. Thais give up a little to allow a more Western investment in - this is pure mercantalism, an economic theory that was discredited decades if not a century ago. Actually, by dropping these restrictions, Thais give up nothing; indeed, they gain.

They could save money by buying products at world market prices rather than having to prop up local monopolies owned by vested interests. They could employ whom they choose without government laws restricting them from employing Farangs if they so desire. They could sell their property to whom they choose. They could buy services from Farangs if they so desire. We tend to forget that these restrictions cut both ways.

And if there is no demand for the products and services offered by Farangs, the market will quite effeciently address that problem.

Archived