shakeup of visa and immigration rules

Old Hippie

<< Thats the point, the VOA runners borrow some money from friends, because they don't have them enough ... >>

Not necessarily. I've met folks who had piles of money from working in the ME, but simply weren't old enough to retire. They figured on doing visa runs until they reached 50.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<< Thats the point, the VOA runners borrow some money from friends, because they don't have them enough ... >>

Not necessarily. I've met folks who had piles of money from working in the ME, but simply weren't old enough to retire. They figured on doing visa runs until they reached 50.

why they dont use alle three month a new tourist visa?

Looks to me more comfortable as the monthly visa run.

What is needed, at least for me, is a three month, multi-entry, unlimited in/out of Thailand.

I bounce every few weeks to China, Malaysia, Japan, etc so I would be happy to keep up with the three month visa but just a few entries would not work for me.

The 90 days with the VOA, I would eat that up all too quick.

Plan B, just keep a place in Malaysia but the beer is cheaper in Thailand...

No, it's not about money. it's about national pride and face. Some people with power read forums like this and others where the Thais more or less straight up in the face are told that "we farang know much better then you, silly natives, what is best for you and your country, and see how much you lose if we don't come here and buy sex from your women and this and that.."

Nobody, especially not the Thais like to hear things like this said in a very crude and condescending way straight up in the face.

(To no one in particular)

Actually, I think in many cases it is very much about money. If you are a vested interest with a business that effectively operates as a monopoly, you have a strong interest in keeping things that way. And what better way to keep things that way than to wrap yourself in the Thai flag and whip up a bit of xenophobia?

It is certainly more effective than discussing policy on a rational basis.

This is not a Thai vs Farang thing - very few things are, unless they are made that way. Many Thais have suggested, gasp, getting rid of the Alien Business Law. Khun Korn, a senior Democrat, made this very suggestion.

Khun Korn is also a former investment banker, which means he understands how these sorts of restrictions and laws damage Thailand. Now whether sensible policies are actually implimented in this area is another issue altogether.

TIT at its finest. Basicly things change with the wind. It is this very fact that keeps LOS a cheap and fun place to go. The longer they continue to be backasswards it is good for many of us, because it allows us to figure out loopholes and just buy our way out of things. Would hate to see LOS actualy become efficient and Mcnormal.

Tourist visas can no longer be extended 30 days - only 7 days under the new regulations. Just tried to do in CM. I now have a choice to go to the burma border and get 30 days or take the 1,900B stamp of 7 days...

Since i depart for america on the 2nd, a border run is now necessary and thus they are forcing people tuse those visa on arrival (3 in a 180 day period) when i would not have to use them as one could get by with 6 to 9 months on a multi-entry tourist visa...

A damn shame as this eliminates 33% of how one could use a multi-entry tourist visa.

What is their point? To spend less money in LOS and more in another country?

It is a stuped cat and mouse game where they think it eliminates the "bad guy" when in fact it will guide more good guys and their money away from thailand leaving only bad guys behind...

They will be left stratching their heads on why these new regs didn't accomplish what they wanted to..

You catch bad guys by doing criminal checks not create more stringent visa regs; They don't understand "how to build a better mouse trap" concept...

CB

Why is it they won't budge and waive the retirement age 50 rule?

They seem to be stuck in that mentality that wealth and comfort only comes with age. What is so magical about 50?

Many people under 50 would apply for a retirement visa and LOS would gain a lot more money via bank accounts...

It is the sams mentality that a supervisor has to be a certain age or smarts and knowledge come with age. Only wisdom and not to all people...

They need to re-educated about not all poor people are crimnal-like. Criminal behavior is not a direct relationship with money. I would guess there are a number of people living here who are on very limited budgets but abide by the laws of thailand and create no problems for them...

Why through the baby out with the bath water?

CB

The xfr from say Euro -> Baht -> Euro would cost you due to conversion costs, maybe 2%.

If you did'nt need the money elswhere having the money in LOS may be handy. You can access it at times when your original currency is softer against the baht and visa vera when your foriegn funds are stronger against the original exchange rate you tx'd the money into Thailand.

Hedging.

For those staying for extended periods of time in LOS and turn over a fair deal of cash then this could save you sitang. A bit of homework when you tx the cash in the first place can add advantage by moving bulk amounts of cash on a "good day"...

Fatty...

Archived