Thai Whiskey

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sangthip, definitely.

Will never forget the night in Nan when I was seeing the manager of the hole-in-the-wall restaurant double because of my drinking a mickey of Sangthip. It also helps my Thai speaking fluency (or at least the impression of same)

• 1 month later...

Spey falls a bit out of the initial line up as it really is what we call (scotch) whiskey in the west. The so-called "thai whiskeys" (Mekhong, SangSom, Black Cat etc.) are actually rum. Thais use the word "whiskey" for all different kinds of spirits/liquors (even yaa dong is officially promoted as "herbal whiskey" although it's rice liquor).

So the question is if you prefer whiskey over rum...

P.S. Sorry, just couldn't help but be a smart aleck.

Sang Thip is still available in Carrefour

Aussie and Kiwi beers, i quite like DB forom NZ, overall I would say I prefer kiwi beer.

In Aus I drink XXXX It's an aquired taste but I spent a lot of time in Queensland so got used to it.

Lao Khao

Made from Sticky rice. Put loads of raw sticky rice in a container add water and Yeast, cover tightly and leave for a few days.

The wife learnt from her mother, thats how they made a living when she was a child. Not a great living but they could afford to eat occasionally.

Archived