The snails and buffalo meat.

When I was first in Bangkok, some 10 or 11 years ago, and when I was still a chef - restaurateur, I took it upon myself to cook a meal for the family of the lady I'd met and dated from Dunkin Donuts.

After some amazement at my plans the lady took me to a local market and I made my purchases.

The items I purchased that I remember most clearly were the river snails and the buffalo meat.

The snails, because after I'd steamed them and steeped them in lemon and garlic butter, I asked if they would have come from up-country somewhere and was told that more than likely they'd come off the pier the local ferry docked at. They were delicious by the way.

And the buffalo meat because no matter how I tried, I could not purchase a piece that had not a covering of flies. Indeed I think I bought a kilo of meat but paid for 1.5 kilos due to the extra weight of the flies.

A question for those of you who know. Is there a big-ish food market within striking distance of Sukhummvit? I'd like to have a wander around one on my next visit.

probably klongtoey market is what you are looking for (corner of new rachada, rama IV intersectionl, 3-5 minutes by taxi from sukhumvit, asoke, new rachada intersection); very lively, living chicken, pigs, uncut meat, fish and seafood

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by togaduke:

come on your kidding... you got to be kidding..
crazy.gif" border="0
if not I will stick to the club sandwitch at the oriental...

Why come to Thailand????? might as well stay home and enjoy your clubhouse sandwich.. live a little.. life is too short

[ August 05, 2001: Message edited by: whosyourdaddy ]

Archived