Finding good wine in Bangkok

Okay, so I am in the wrong country! Beer in the Philippines, herbal liquors in China, red wine, especially bordeaus, in Cambodia (you can get a bottle even at the corner store near Martini Club).

But I'm in Bangkok.

I see that wine is now being imported in bulk to Thailand and bottled here. But it's still heavily taxed. I like only Shiraz/Shryah type of wine: especially blends from Cote Du Rhone, France, 'Chateau Neuf Du Pape' being in the orgasmic category. Costs US$20-40 in Louisiana, depending on winery and vintage. Haven't seen it yet in Bangkok...

I can't recall having seen that one either, but there's plenty of very good Australian Shiraz available. "Black Opal" Shiraz is pretty good value at around 600 Baht. There's also some good Shiraz by Wolf Blass or Basedow. See if you get Rosemount Estate's Shiraz. It's excellent but I'm not sure if it's available anywhere in Bangkok; I always buy it in the duty-free in Singapore Airport (24 S$).

The best-stocked place, and reasonably priced, is Villa Supermarket in Sukhumvit, near corner Soi 33. The second floor is almost entirely devoted to wine. All other, smaller branches of Villa also offer a decent selection.

Foodland in Sukhumvit Soi 5 has reasonable prices, but the selection is quite limited.

Avoid The Emporium wineshop as everything there is much more expensive than anywhere else.

The branch of The Oriental Shop at The Emporium sell a South African Shiraz (Bellingham), for 700 Baht.

Happy swigging. SB

There is a wine store a few blocks from patpong in a shopping plaza. I f my memory serves me well it isn something like Thaniya Plaza. They have some great wines there at fairlly reasonable prices, if you don't want to drink the plunk that the others are referring to(no offense intended). The wine is not necessarily cheap here but not bad considering where you are.

correctomundo buddy_guy- second floor thaniya plaza in the back- shop has a french name- good selection of french, australian and californian reds- reasonable prices for thailand and upscale selections

[ July 08, 2001: Message edited by: tanha ]

• 2 weeks later...

"Wine Square" in Siam Square (Henri Dunant Rd., just around the corner from Rama 1 Rd.) is a cosy little wine bar with a very good selection of wines. I've never had a bad one there. Wines can be drunk on the premises or taken home.

Prices range from about 600 to 100,000 Baht. Yes, the latter is no typo! Not surprisingly, I've seen a few financially well-endowed members of parliament or other luminaries there.

P.S. Winston James, the other day I saw your "Chateau Neuf du Pape" there!

[ July 19, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived