Dim Sum in Bangkok?

thalenoi

I was told the chinese restaurant of the Oriental had the best Dim Sum in town. I phones to ask price, was 695 ++ baht. My gf refused to go, paeng maak, to much. Same day we passed by Ambasador hotel on Sukhumvit and saw an announcement for Dim Sum lunch at 199 ++. Again she refused to go there, in Emporium food area she claimed an ex Oriental cook made Dim Sums there. So it had to be Emporium. Now, these were ok, but the Emporium mall is not what i expect as being a "dim Sum restaurant".

Someone tried the Ambassador chinese restaurant Dim Sum buffet or an other place?

The Montien has very good dim sum in their Chinese restaurant. The Sunday brunch price is about 350 to 400B and includes western and Thai food.

There is a Hong Kong style dim sum place on Soi Saladaeng that has horrible dim sum, even though that appears to be their specialty.

Just mentioned that to illustrate that there is a wide variety in the quality of dim sum.

i have tried the oriental; expensive but excellent. in sukhumvit area i could recommenc novotel lotus (upscale but still reasonable) and windsor (cheap); the most authentic cantonese dim sum (like in guangdong province) you can get in chinatown, where you can as well pay by piece.

Not particularly a connoisseur of dim sum but I was quite impressed by the Shangri La restauraunt on Silom Road - just past the junction with Chong Nonsi (on the same side of the road as, but before the Monarch Lee Gardens Hotel). I have no idea of prices as I was always taken there by my boss who invariably picked up the tab. I'm not certain but I don't think there's any connection with the hotel of the same name.

Dim Sum fans might want to check it out. Nice decor and great service.

Arai wa

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Arai wa ]

Archived