Nice restaurant overlooking Chao Phraya river?

fatbastard33

On my next visit to Bangkok I am wanting to give the impression to my little cutie that I am romantic (which I am not!) and want to take her for dinner overlooking the Chao Phraya river.

I would expect to pay about 2000-2500 Baht in total. She would most probably have something Thai whilst I would have a steak (or similar) but without wine, only beer.

Can anybody give me any recommendations - however, it must have a river view and be on the east side of the river.

Many thanks

Fatbastard33

Dear FB,

Have I got the place for you! Ban-Klang-Nam. Phone 292-0175, or 292-2037/8. Reservations recommended. It is hard to find, so have your TGF call them for directions, and then take Skytrain to Saphan Taksin Station, and give the directions to a cabbie. I wouldn't recommend a steak there, but this place is a classy hangout. Fresh exotic fish/seafood are brought there from all over Thailand. THB2,000 is do-able. Shorts with T-shirt may be pushing it a bit. laugh.gif" border="0

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: vtombrown ]

why you want to stay on the east side (sure plenty of nice, but rather expensive restaurants like maenam terrace of shangrila (excellent buffet), sala thai (river city shopping center); try the yok yor on the west side: very reasonable and just 5-10 minutes taxi ride from sathorn. they also have dinner cruises with prices you can only dream of on the east side. you pay 80 baht per person for a 2 hours cruise (and the menue card has very reasonable prices)

A river cruise sounds like a great idea, but I found it to be only a good idea. Maybe the focus of this topic (the Thai GF) would indeed find a river cruise to be great. My only complaint was that the food was two or three hours old, and there were many fat, ignorant (and usually old) farang d-bags sharing the same small quarters with me, and loudly spouting idiotic remarks. Call me prejudiced. frown.gif" border="0

I too, have good things to say about Ban Klang Nam.

Vtombrown is correct about getting your directions in Thai for the Taxi.

Hard to find otherwise, down a tiny non-descript side street, but worth the effort.

Magnificent seafood and right on/over the river.

Reserve a table, I waited for an hour once, still worth it.

Archived