Mrs Balbirs

Lusty

I was the victim of the cockroach infested meal at Mrs Balbirs. It was by far the worst Indian meal I have had in Asia (out of 8 Asian countries). After 11 years living in Thailand - eating mainly in stall & low budget places - it also had the worst cockroach infestation I have come across. Not that it appeared to bother the staff.

I have been given various explanations for the origin of Balti. The one I recollect was that the first Balti chef (s) came from a town called Balt in Nepal (?).

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jiving:

"I have been given various explanations for the origin of Balti. The one I recollect was that the first Balti chef (s) came from a town called Balt in Nepal (?)."

Hi Jives! There is an area in Northern Pakistan called Baltistan. Maybe that's where he was from.

A mugging, here in Dhaka, never. You must be mistaken Scum. The Banglas are the friendliest people in the world. It says so in Lonley Planet so it must be true crazy.gif" border="0

By the way, the name Pakistan comes from...answers on an email to the usual address...

Scum - I was under the impression Pakistan was an achronism sp, of Pathan, Baluchistan, Sind, and a couple of others reflecting the ethnic make up of the country.

Is there a harbour in Dhaka???

A m8 recently caught a Bungla trying to yank the wing mirrors off his car recently in Gulshan. With one hand on his nose and the other wrapped around the scrawny runts neck he dragged him to the security guards who called the police. He got 3 months without so much as a trial, and my m8 drove home merrily pissed...

Originally posted by abbot thong:

"Is there a harbour in Dhaka???"

Well, it was some kind of ferry harbour somewhere downtown, not all that big really. I'd been to see the textile factory of an acquaintance and decided to explore the area a bit.

Incidentally many of the female workers in that factory, mostly very young, were absolute stunners - with those deep-brown, big and fiery Bengali eyes that you can get absolutely lost in.

Interesting spelling, "Bungla", like straight out of an old Kipling novel. Could make a rap song out of that: "Bungla burgla bugga off, no burgla da bungla of Scum the prof, ..."

Sorry, just playing on "Bangla" and its derivative "bungalow" (Bengali house) ... and obviously I've had a bit too much tea again ...!

Scum - to bungle is a verb meaning to screw up, something these guys are dab hands at crazy.gif" border="0

Never thought about bungalow, they ain't got a lot upstairs have they

tongue.gif" border="0

as for the totty...here I am an abbot for good reason, keeping myself chaste for trips to BKK.

some tea you drink...

"Scum - to bungle is a verb meaning to screw up, something these guys are dab hands at ..."

... quite true possibly but unfortunately the word is not of Indian (or Bengali) origin. But "to loot" for example is (from Hindi "lootna", to plunder).

If you have spare time I recommend you get yourself the a book entitled "Hobson-Jobson - The Anglo-Indian Dictionary" by Henry Yule and A.C. Burnell; originally published 1886 and reprinted by various publishing houses. You'll have fun with it!

Cheers, SB.

"A mugging, here in Dhaka, never."

Another time, in those small lanes near the harbour in Dhaka, three guys tried to pull me off into a side-lane to access my foreign wealth. I was lucky again, fought them off and ran to the nearest rikshaw to get me out of there. Come to think of it, even if the food were great I wouldn't rush to get back there. I've never experienced anything like that in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka or Pakistan. Which brings us to a question ...

"By the way, the name Pakistan comes from..."

Paki-stan = Land of the Pure; but I'm sure you know that and you just pull my scrawny, arthritic, varicose leg ... wink.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Mrs. Balbirs because of all the press it gets and found it to be very average. I've been there twice and, because of the small menu, have had to order similar dishes. My dining companions (cockroaches- the place is completely overrun) didn't seem to mind, however.

The best Indian food I have had in Bangkok thus far was at Rang Mahal on the top floor of the Rembrandt Hotel.

Cheers!

Archived