Mrs Balbirs

Lusty

Well, Mrs Balbir lives in my apartment building so I'll pass on your regards, chaps!! I really don't know how much she has to do with the restaurant anymore, I have never actually seen her in there. She seems to be more of a media personality than a cook now - she has a show on Star TV in India and is often on those 'Travel Asia' programs on UBC. I think she is also now chair of the Bangkok International Women's Group or somesuch. I suspect that the standards in the restaurant have fallen steadily as her media profile has risen. Does her husband still scare people away on the door?

I still think the little lunchtime buffet is decent value, despite my friend's experience on my last visit there, as mentioned by Khun Sanuk! I reckon the sneaky Sikh had overdone it on the Roti Chani on his journey from Malaysia!

Has anybody been to the Mogul Room opposite Cheap Charlie's recently? I used to like that but haven't been for ages.

Agree with the comments on the Rang Mahal. The Sunday brunch buffet is a grand experience as long as you have nothing to do for the next couple of days!

LG

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by Long Gun:

"I reckon the sneaky Sikh had overdone it on the Roti Chani on his journey from Malaysia!"

They make roti chanai at Mrs.Balbir's?

Read again, sir, these would be travelling from Kulim!

You like your Indian food though, don't you!?

LG

Originally posted by Long Gun:

"I reckon the sneaky Sikh had overdone it on the Roti Chani on his journey from Malaysia!"

They make roti chanai at Mrs.Balbir's? Many people think roti chanai are a Malaysian-Indian invention, but in fact they originated in Kerala, from where the recipe was brought over to the Malaysian Peninsula. In Kerala, they're called paratha, though they're quite different from the better-known Punjabi paratha.

I don't mind a good roti chanai ever so often, but I'd rather try somewhere else than at Mrs.B's. There are some good roti restaurants in Phuket Town, Krabi and Hat Yai.

Archived