Monitor Color Problems

I've been having problems with the color on my monitor screen for one or two weeks now, but things haven't been bad enough for me to have to cart the bloody thing all the way to Panthip Plaza.

But now I seem to have totally lost the color red and no amount of twiddling with contrast and brightness makes any difference. I'm going to have to take it in.

Is this a major problem and will I be without a monitor for weeks on end? or a while-u-wait job? any ideas gents?

Monitor is shot, or atleast a tube or someth'n.

May want to take your monitor over to a friends just to test it on his card because there is an off chance that it is your video card (I doubt that).

Sorry to hear it as the monitor is about one of the most expensive pieces of a comp. frown.gif" border="0

Warranty?

<<burp>>

quote:

Does your monitor have a set of little buttons on the front or side -- the ones that let you set size and such? If so, you likely have color channel settings there. Play!

By the way, what make and model monitor have ye?

DB

I've played around with the buttons (Viewmatch Color, etc) but the picture is still dark and has no red or orange at all.

The monitor is a Viewsonic E653.

Actually as I'm typing this in, the screen is flashing from dark to brighter. Does that help with the diagnosis?

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: Bangkok Phil ]

An Alternative Interpretation...

In a previous life, I was a technician on "video walls"--those stacks of televisions that each show part of an overall picture. Consequently, I was forced to learn a little bit about monitors and projectors.

It's very rare to have just one color go out, and it be the tube itself. Every time I have experienced this problem, it has been the connection: either the card was hosed up, or (most likely) in plugging and unplugging the monitor from the card, you have bent the pin that sends the Red portion of the signal.

Before you scrap the monitor, you might want to check the physical connection--unplug the monitor from the card, and look at the plug (male) part. See if any of the pins are bent, or otherwise look "funny". With any luck, you can straighten out the offending pin, or perhaps replace it, and be back in business for pennies.

Thanks everyone especially Bald Eagle because your 'fix it for pennies' option is most appealing.

The monitor is literally just 7 months old and a new one would cost me about 6-7,000 baht if I remember right.

It's still under warranty but the thought of carting it to Panthip on a Sunday...well..if I can avoid it I will. It was my fault for buying something from Panthip Plaza when at Seri Center or Seacon Square - the parking is much, much (x1000) easier and everything is less hassle. And the prices are about the same.

I'll have a mess around with the connections later tonight and see if that does the trick.

Phil. This probably is not much help but I had the same problem and being totally technically illiterate searched the web for an answer. Some guy in usa operates a doctor type service and gave me the answer in his FAQ section. Trouble is I can't recall his website. All I do remember is something about putting the computor in to safe mode and removing the colour drivers and reinstalling them. This was quite simple to do and took about five minutes and presto colour restored perfectly. The usa guy reckons there is a lot of trouble with this problem but regular repair guys keep the solution to themselves and charge like wounded buffaloes to fix it when it is very easy to fix if you how. Sorry I can't be more help butI'm sure that is the answer to your colour problem. Someone else on the board may know the exact procedure to remove and reinstall the colour drivers. I'ts definately worth a try.

Cheer Hall

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

I've been having problems with the color on my monitor screen for one or two weeks now, but things haven't been bad enough for me to have to cart the bloody thing all the way to Panthip Plaza.

But now I seem to have totally lost the color red and no amount of twiddling with contrast and brightness makes any difference. I'm going to have to take it in.

Is this a major problem and will I be without a monitor for weeks on end? or a while-u-wait job? any ideas gents?

Use a 5" hammer... show it to the monitor... iff color does not go normal in 10 seconds... then hit the monitor as strong as you can... in the center of the screen.

Note: work safe... use safety glasses. ;-)

[ June 13, 2001: Message edited by: SoiAngel ]

Archived