U.S. Customs-LAX-ugh...

jitagawn

Shyguy,

No formula to avoid these guys really, but the AG thing seems to work, but who really knows? The idea is at the initial reception, the customs guy writes "AG" or"AC" I forget on your slip, they can send you for a seconsd (customs) check, but usually don't. It maybe depend on what the AG guys find?

As for female agents being tougher, I find it just the opposite, I find them usually more friendly, and on less of a power trip. This is in SFO, I have passed through LAX (limited issues) and SEA (no issues the 2 times). On a few occassions, I have had severel agents going through my stuff, and the female agents seemed less aggressive. Could be the old "good cop bad cop" routine maybe.

Nuttiest time I ever had from Customs was in Seattle years ago. The moron was acting like Joe Friday with his insinuations that I was a drug mule. (In fact, I had my Peace Corps ID with me, but he apparently had never heard of the PC!) When I didn't crumble and confess, he eventually tired of his game and let me go through without even looking at my bags.

p.s. Almost everyone else on the plane was a GI or military dependent returning from Korea. So why were all of the welcoming signs at Seattle in Spanish? :dunno:

...What got me was, I was pulled right out of line! not even my turn, I took my last bag off the carasaul, and the guy made a "b-line" for me...

Look OH, SF (and LA, to a slightly lesser extent) is as "tolerant" as any city in the U.S. But you must admit that the sight of a 40-something balding man with two-days heavy beard and wearing a pink leotard and white tutu, carrying a wand and sprinking "star dust" around the clearance area is bound to attrack a bit of attention. No?

HH

The formula is to be young. :D

There might actually be some truth to that.

I'm in my uhhhh....early thirties.....but I look quite a bit younger. In 15+ trips to Thailand and elsewhere in SE Asia I've never spent more than 20 minutes in immigration, and had my bags searched once. All of these were returning at SFO.

Never been hassled ever. Almost always LAX, knock on wood.

When I was still a young man, I used to work for an airline in LAX's brand new international terminal. I had to handle VIPs, on occasion.

For transit passengers, there was an elevator that would take them from the immigration entrance straight to the first class lounge floor. It was one of those overlooked things, prior to 911.

I pushed many a wheelchair that way, in order to save my own time and energy.

They've tightened up security, since then.

...What got me was' date=' I was pulled right out of line! not even my turn, I took my last bag off the carasaul, and the guy made a "b-line" for me...[/quote']

Look OH, SF (and LA, to a slightly lesser extent) is as "tolerant" as any city in the U.S. But you must admit that the sight of a 40-something balding man with two-days heavy beard and wearing a pink leotard and white tutu, carrying a wand and sprinking "star dust" around the clearance area is bound to attrack a bit of attention. No?

HH

For your information, the airline dress code for employees clearly states "Formal gown and NO wand" I was in compliance...

"For your information, the airline dress code for employees clearly states "Formal gown and NO wand" I was in compliance..."

In the early eighties, as an esteemed passenger service agent for TE (you look it up) at LAX, we wore green short sleeved shirts and shorts, along with almost knee high woolen socks.

It was cool, and a great way to attract girls in the bars, after work.

Then some cunt of a station manager decided the dress was inappropriate for the US market, and he made us wear long pants.

Fuck that Danish guy, he had no sense of humor at all.

The Kiwis are still wearing that stuff, as far as I know.

Archived