Itanium and Whistler - ZOOOOOOM!

Brink15

DB et ALL,

Anyone else looking forward to the release of the new 64-bit processor from Intel, the Itanium?

Microsoft is so excited; they have specifically designed the new "code named Whistler" series of O/Ss to be 32/64 bit compatible. The workstation version is called XP Professional, and is in its beta 2 release now.

I may be getting out of my financial services job, to move onto working for a computer reseller. I'll still keep up my "minor league" consulting.

I'm pretty keen on having first crack at the new technology (at cost - or better yet, for free).

64 bit - hmmmmmmm.

quote:

Originally posted by Brink15:

DB et ALL,

Microsoft is so excited; they have specifically designed the new "code named Whistler" series of O/Ss to be 32/64 bit compatible. The workstation version is called XP Professional, and is in its beta 2 release now.

pretty keen on having first crack at the new technology (at cost - or better yet, for free).

64 bit - hmmmmmmm.

SuSE Linux will ship their first production release of GNU/Linux for IA64 July 1st. Betas are already available in CVS. Retail version about $70 on seven CDS or one DVD.

SuSE also available for AXP (Alpha RISC 64) PPC (RISC 32) and of course IA32 (CISC 32)

I have had a couple of X blowouts and twice as many race conditions with Netscape this year, still waiting for it to crash hard

Archived