My computer...to bring or not to bring

itsmedave

Having a dilemma about my computer while packing for mmy big move to Bangkok...

I have a 56k e machine that I have been planning to bring to LOS and I have found a large box to pack it in. The problems...

The weight is so heavy that I may be charged by the airline when I check it as baggage, and...

The weight is so heavy that (along with the other two suitcases I'm bringing) it will be impossinle to move it around without help.

Have thought about shipping it after I've settled in to an apartment, but fear the cost of shipping may make this prohibitive (also worried that it will ever make it to me, and, if so, in one piece.

Considering leaving the monitor behind to lessen the load and pick up a new one in Thialand, but, again, the cost of this might make it just as easy to haul the whole thing over.

Boy, don't I wish I had a laptop!!!

Thoughts?

More considerations.

Electrical goods will attract an import tax.

If you ship it via Don Muang you will have to pay an "administration fee". This seems to be correlated to the urgency you display when picking up the item and the date in the month. Do you get my meaning?

I would suggest that at the rate pc's become obsolete you should sell it there at home and update on arrival.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

> Electrical goods will attract an import tax.

I also want to bring my computer system and a 17" LCD monitor from home when I move here in October. However, I am concerned about getting screwed over by customs when I arrive. I don't mind paying a duty as long as it's not some ridiculous percentage that might possibly exceed the value of the goods.

I would buy the LCD monitor in LOS, but they are 50% higher in price than in America. I looked in Panthip Plaza today and only a very few dealers even carry them.

JGA

> I'm guessing you're getting a pre-arranged visa rather than VoA.

Yes, I plan to get a 60-day multiple entry visa beforehand and just do visa runs every 60-90 days. I guess I'll just bring the computer system with me and hope that it doesn't get held for "ransom" by customs.

JGA

• 2 weeks later...

The past few years I have been bringing at least one laptop with me each trip.

I find I can use it with the loxinfo cd/time pack they sell in Bkk>

when I am ready to leave, I sell the laptop, or give it to a friend.

last time I brought 2 hp jornada 680 mini computers. ( no hd to die)

work very well on the net, and difficult to

"fuck up" even for my thai friends.

sold one b4 I left,and have someone wanting the second one

( when they get the money).

not big bux, but fun for me.

Archived