Farang Kii Nok

Chillers

I just read this on Stickman:

You often hear foreigners talking about Thais criticising Westerners and saying that we are "bird shit farangs". I laugh when I hear this. They say that Thai people say that farangs are "farang kee nok" which would translate to something like "farang bird shit" â?? but that is not what the Thais are actually saying! It is kee ngok which means people like to keep their money and not spend it. You've got to laugh.

I think Stick that you may be wrong on this one. My girlfriend assures me that "bird shit farang" is the correct term and is distinct from kii ngok.

My opinion: Farang kii nok means a farang that has not got the money to pay (or looks that way). When I wear my Heavy Metal shirts, old shoes, and crusty jeans I look kii nok and my gf's sisters have no problem telling me so :). Kii ngok means you look like you can pay but are too stingy to do so.

Comments?

khee (f) nok (h) (bird shit) for low class often in combination with "farang" is the often heard and well known version

khee (f) ngok (h) is possible. ngok is adjective and means greedy; in combination with khee it is a person that tends to be greedy

however much more common than the second one is khee (f) niaow ® which also means a greedy person

So without going into the difference between stingy and greedy can we agree that khee nok (bird shit), khee ngoh (greedy person) and khee neeo or niaow (sticky shit) all mean pretty much the same thing?

I don't know where that leaves Stickman but hopefully everyone comes out a winner.

Khee doesn't just mean shit (excrement) BTW....it can be used for waste material in general.

Khee doesn't just mean shit (excrement) BTW....it can be used for waste material in general.

Exactly CW a couple of examples are

Khee Tha (lit) Shit of the Eye or as we would say in English, Sleep in youe Eyes.

Khee Mook (Shortened Jamook)(lit) Shit of the Nose, Snot.

In the 1970s "farang kee nok" referred to a Thai who tried to dress, speak and act like the off duty American GIs. I was told the idea was that birds eat guava and crap out the seeds, which then sprout wherever dumped.

Since the present generation of Thais has no memory of the USAF base days, the "acting American" idea has probably been forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived