NotstickmanBangkok.com

exileexpat

Looks like we now have a fourth explanation for kee-nok ... http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/516068/

...they just keep coming...

"Another phase "Kee nee-ow" is a bit different. That is translated "Shit Little" and this is meant to cast a negative light against a foreigner if said by a Thai in a public place. This means you're a cheap-ass SOB. If a close friend says it to you in a closed environment between friends -- then it's a joke between the two of you, but if a person outside of your circle of friend says it -- take it as an insult.

You can also use "Kee nee-ow" as a piece of smart-assed self-deprecating humor. You can say that you're not paying because you're Kee nee-ow. You're calling yourself stingy. If you say it with confidence, then come off as humor."

Uhh, have you read your own post? Kee-nok and kee-neow (or however one wants to transliterate them) are two different things. Presumably the person you're quoting means "kee-neow" (stingy) and not "kee-nok" (birdshit, but with some well-known idiomatic meanings). Why would you think otherwise?

Lexicological differences aside, I find it very unlikely that NotStickman is some enraged bar owner bent on revenge. If that were the case, why not simply buy Stickman's love, as seems to be the usual practice? Surely that would be easier than creating and maintaining, after a fashion, such a lame-brained poison pen letter.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like we now have a fourth explanation for kee-nok ... http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/516068/

...they just keep coming...

"Another phase "Kee nee-ow" is a bit different. That is translated "Shit Little" and this is meant to cast a negative light against a foreigner if said by a Thai in a public place. This means you're a cheap-ass SOB. If a close friend says it to you in a closed environment between friends -- then it's a joke between the two of you' date=' but if a person outside of your circle of friend says it -- take it as an insult.

You can also use "Kee nee-ow" as a piece of smart-assed self-deprecating humor. You can say that you're not paying because you're Kee nee-ow. You're calling yourself stingy. If you say it with confidence, then come off as humor."[/i']

Uhh, have you read your own post? Kee-nok and kee-neow (or however one wants to transliterate them) are two different things. Presumably the person you're quoting means "kee-neow" (stingy) and not "kee-nok" (birdshit, but with some well-known idiomatic meanings). Why would you think otherwise?

I guess you missed this thread....

http://www.thai360.com/fbb/showtopic.php?tid/516068/

Stick started it by questioning the use of kee-nok for 'stingy'. He said it should be kee-ngoh. I said it should be kee-neeo. Now nonstick says something about little shit. You're just covering old ground.

I had a quick look at John Galts site and have to wonder how he can sustain a negative and destructive campaign for very long. He did make some good criticisms of Stick but so what.

It is easy to criticise but much harder to provide something of quality and true competition.

Most of us couldn't be bothered with the work that is required to keep a website running so until someone provides something better Stick will stay leader of the pack.

I am firmly in favor of a free exchange of ideas, but that also includes calling someone if they, oh say, suggest means of having stickman arrested or bumped-off. Take a look at this site.

I truly believe that its only a matter of time before some force removes him [stickman] from Thailand. The removal will likely be a swift as Thaksin's. I just hope it doesn't end in violence.

And then the operator of this site, someone who calls himself John Galt, suggests or claims (depending how you read it) that stickman is operating a fixed video camera in NEP: "Stick, what is the purpose of your video? Are you busting working girls with it?"

And then describes various ways of setting up stickman for an arrest:

A clever go-go dancer from say "Sheba's" could make her way down to immigration or the labor office and locate a chief in that department. With her impressive attributes she could easily arrange, shall we say, a little "mutual exchange". She provides him with mea-noi services and he follows up and busts Stickman for working in several industries without a proper work permit. Stickman may not be deported certainly he'll lose his English teaching job. (my work permits say: Any violation thereof shall be liable to imprisonment for a term exceeding one month or to a fine not exceeding two thousand Baht or both)

And then suggests worse:

these bar girls have a lot of farang friends who would just be happy to reap a little revenge against anyone who does their girl wrong. So Stickman may also be facing the possibility of a reprisal from guys who are from the naughty night life dark side. It is fairly well known that mob type figures are here and in the fabric of the bar industry - and the price of evil doing? Pretty cheap.

This sounds like a personal vendetta. A real nasty personal vendetta. Is there something else going on here that we donâ??t know about?.

Is John Galt (the owner of the notstickman site) a bar owner who got a bad review? Or, viewing this post in the most charitable light possible, is this just incredibly bad judgment?

I know that some posters get all bent of shape if you say anything remotely critical of Thailand. But this page Farangs Above the Law is an a league of its own.

Gadfly,

I think you read that wrong there. Galt is saying something about Stick and Whoseyourdaddy (his spelling) spotted (in Nana Plaza?) taking video pics (secretly?) of someone. Not pointing at Stick about/for the stationary video camera in the NP alleyway in the pic provided on that column/site.

"This sounds like a personal vendetta. A real nasty personal vendetta. Is there something else going on here that we donâ??t know about?."

I think only Stick and/or Galt can answer that question. Galt claims it is not personal, but yeah, it is getting nasty and does seem personal.

Cent

Cent,

I agree Galt is not 100% clear on this point and you may be right. But I also wonder if he is deliberately being vague so as to suggest a great deal more than can be established.

I agree that it is getting quite nasty, at least from Galt's end. His comments seem quite extreme to me. What do others think?

I dont know where Stick gets the balls to continue. I am sure he is pissing off farang bar owners left, right and center. These bar owners are international pimps as far as I am concerned and probably really dont think before they act. I remember reading numerous stories about bar owners getting clubbed as they leave for the evening. If I was Stick I would be watching my back all the time, especially if I say a bar went downhill etc. Yes, this John Galt seems as if he would kill Stickman if he came to Pattaya.

Regarding WYD, Stick and the Video tape...Stickman, as he admits, runs an investigation service, this could all be part of his work. We may or may not consider this to be a respectible act...but then, neaither is whoring, so judge not, least ye be judged, I read on a rest room wall somewhere...or something...

Cent,

I agree Galt is not 100% clear on this point and you may be right. But I also wonder if he is deliberately being vague so as to suggest a great deal more than can be established.

I agree that it is getting quite nasty, at least from Galt's end. His comments seem quite extreme to me. What do others think?

It sure looks like he's pushing it. Too far? Maybe. But do the normal rules apply between anonymous Bangkok nightlife websites? Bottom line is they both want traffic.

It sure looks like he's pushing it. Too far? Maybe. But do the normal rules apply between anonymous Bangkok nightlife websites? Bottom line is they both want traffic.

I guess the question is "too far" by what standards? I am not sure what the normal rules are, and I am even less sure of what rules, if any, apply to anonymous Bangkok nightlife websites, so your point is well taken. But, by my own personal standards, I think the Galt site went too far on this last one.

He does make some good points. I read one of his reports about how to do well in Thailand. He raised some good practical points about starting a business here. Set up a business by finding a product that is less expensive to make in Thailand than, say, the US, Australia, Japan or Europe, and make it here employing some Thais. And stay clear of the restaurant business. It is odd how individual Farangs who want to live here often seem to miss this fundamental (and to me at least) obvious point, and Galt has done a service by clearly making this point.

I would add two points to this. First, stay clear of the bar business. But, on the other hand, I personally would like to see other Farangs - not me and certainly not with my money - invest in the nightlife industry and come up with innovative clubs, bars and pubs. So, I will reverse myself on that point, and encourage others to buy and invest in bars. Seriously, I think the answer to this is in my second point.

Second, invest in what you know. If you were a baker back in Indianapolis, don't think you can be a financial analyst here, or that you can be a lawyer here because you were a limo driver in New York, or an engineer in Thailand if your prior experience was working at a WalMart as a cashier, simply because your English is good. One of the Phuket land/law offices is actually run by a former German baker ('nuff said about that). That is always a disaster waiting to happen.

But if you know how to run good bars and pubs - and although I am only a customer, I do think there is something to know as an owner - you might have a chance here. Do what you know how to do.

OK, I digressed a bit from my original comment, but do others think the Galt post I mentioned a few posts above about stickman went "too far" - by, let's say, their own standards?

Archived