Beer fingerprints to go UK-wide

Fidel

You can't put enough cops out there and it's not cost effective. I'm not sure the cameras or fingerprinting will make any difference either. It's a damn shame things have come to the point where you can't enjoy a drink but I don't blame the authorities....they have to do something.

Chuck/Fidel,

In the states they hired a load of new cops under the Clinton admin. Set aside a lot of money to pay for it (prolly from cig taxes!). They had meetings with the cops and feds in the cities with the worst problems, and set the numbers for new cops to go to the worst problem areas. The city admins and cops then used the extra money and cops hired to seriously beef up the areas that had the largest hoodlum problems. They also set up strike teams to go after the troublemakers, find the evidence, and put the fuckers away for LONG periods of time to get them off the streets (one reason we have such a large prison system, among other things). It did make a big difference over a few years time. They also passed much stricter laws, and started the 3 strikes system and made the judges have to imprison the worst offenders with law changes on what they could and could not do for sentencing. Time to take back the streets for the law abiding citizens. Also, from what I have always seen, they need to create decent paying jobs. That truly is the crux of the matter. Like Fidel, I'd much rather have a stronger police presence to deal with the hooligans than give up my own privacy and rights as a law abiding citizen. And there is no way I would give my fingerprints just to get in a damn bar to have a beer. Blacklisting the yobs and knobheads from the bars just means they'll be drinking in the streets instead and causing worse problems. So, I'll be safer in the bar, but once outside I'll have the cops watching me get beat to death by drunken idiots while they yell over the microphone for them to, 'knock it off the police are on their way!' I'd rather have a cop on every corner. The money will be there if the citizens (voters and taxpayers) demand the protection they deserve on their streets. Plus all the new prisons create more jobs! :smirk: Largest and fastest growing industry in the states I hear. :(

Cent

I'm not sure the US and the UK situations can be compared like that. I've lived in both countries and there are similarities but there are big differences too. Mainly differences of scale. In the US everything is geared to the automobile. You don't see people walking much. In the UK most people live in walking distance of a pub which means a good chance of running into a bunch of hoodies on the way there. If they do drive down they have to park their cars so they may come out of the pub to find the windows smashed in. Same if you leave your car on the street outside your house which many do. Also in the UK more people use public transport. I think police patrol as much as they can but it's not realistic to have a cop on every street corner or bus stop.

Also in the UK there are a lot of yobs who go out looking for fights. It's nothing new but if you read the OP you'll see that fingerprinting is a way of sorting them out so ordinary people can enjoy a drink without getting attacked. Landlords and customers used to sort the louts out themselves at one time but those days are gone. Nowadays you'd have to employ bouncers. Pubs are very much part of a ritual in England. English people don't see the local pub as just a 'damn bar'.

I know the whole idea of surveillance cameras smacks of Big Brother but it's a cost effective way of recording what goes on in front of a row of shops at night for instance, or in a parking lot. Obviously if everybody was honest they wouldn't be needed. Nowadays with terrorism getting such a high priority cameras are everywhere so we just have to get used to it..

I guess you haven't visited the UK recently Cent. Freedom to deface public buildings and smash people's cars up and beat up old people you mean?

If there is a list of violent idiots why don't they put them into jail??? These fellas are fellons but instead they treat good people like criminal!!! It also allows the government to keep track of their people!

I guess you haven't visited the UK recently Cent. Freedom to deface public buildings and smash people's cars up and beat up old people you mean?

If there is a list of violent idiots why don't they put them into jail??? These fellas are fellons but instead they treat good people like criminal!!! It also allows the government to keep track of their people!

Beats me. Perhaps somebody who still lives in the UK can answer that question.

Archived