airport bus

allatsea2000

Better get this one: (read on Udon map)

Ground transport

poorly planned After spending some time in Hong Kong, I departed on a flight to Bangkok. In Hong Kong, I was able to check my bags and get my boarding pass at the Express Train Terminal in the city, and then be transported in quiet comfort aboard the efficient and plush train right into the airport's international terminal where I only had to walk to the gate for my flight.

My disappointment came upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi airport. Not that this is not a great airport, or at least has the makings to be a great airport, as it is beautiful and spacious.

My compliments end there.

Like many others, a search for a bathroom was a major chore, but my biggest complaint was the transportation into the city. After exiting the arrivals hall, your choice is a taxi (800-900 baht) or the airport bus (150 baht). Since I was travelling alone, a taxi was too expensive. I've been to Bangkok dozens of times, and a taxi from Don Muang would cost me about 200-250 baht.

There was no queuing system to purchase a bus ticket, and there was a horde of people with luggage and/or carts crowding up to one small podium to purchase a ticket. It was mayhem.

With a ticket finally in hand, I went to the buses. These are old buses, the sort found in Third World countries, and should not be part of the transportation system in a modern First World airport.

I was one of the first passengers on the bus destined for Sukhumvit road, and I stored my three suitcases in the small area provided.

Then there was a 15-20 minute wait while the bus filled slowly with passengers until all seats were taken. The mountain of baggage, two metres high, was a haphazard mess.

The bus slowly transported us into the city, a 90-minute trip, while that mountain of bags kept collapsing into the aisle. Passengers sat tightly packed, many with carry-on bags on their laps. There was no a/c on a hot Thailand day.

The first stop was Ekamai bus station and I got off, preferring to travel the remaining distance by taxi. With the help of others, it took more than 10 minutes to find my three bags at the bottom of a pile of about 60 pieces of luggage.

The airport authority should have planned well in advance and ensured the airport express train line would be finished when the new airport opened. The thought that this transport system will exist for another year or more has made me rethink my next trip to Thailand. JERRY G United States

Archived