NCAA Football ramblings...

Dali

Can anyone stop the Buckeyes? Schedule until Michigan appears to be a cake walk, then they get Michigan in Columbus. Both teams have great defenses, though OSU has possibly its most diverse and multi-talented offense ever.

Most years at this time there is lots of talk about how controversial and unfair the BCS process is. Then in the end, usually (not always), it gets settled on the field and the eventual National Champ is an obvious choice that has earned the title.

No controversy now (except for the whiners from the SEC who say the process is unfair because they think their schedules are too tough). The top 3 teams all control their own destiny. If Ohio State, Michigan or USC win all their remaining games, they will eliminate the other 2.

Looks like the Big Ten is back to being the Big Two and little Eight..ahhhhh little Nine. With all that TV money coming in you would think they could hire someone who can count to come up with a new Conference name. Or are they waiting to see if Notre Dame will someday want to join, though Big 12 is already taken.

I thought the additions of Miami, Florida State and Virginia Tech would bring football prestige to the ACC. Wrong! Maybe the ACC should give its automatic BCS bid to the MAC this year.

The winner of the OSU v. Mich game is obviously in the catbird's seat. My issue for my alma mater (Auburn) is that WVU has a much weaker schedule and conference.

Ohio State has a great team but I'd still put the USC squad a couple years ago above them as well as one of the Miami teams in the '90s who were the fastest team top to bottom I've ever seen. The linemen were clocking 4.5 40s. Still, I don't want to take anything away from Ohio State. I'll let BadaBing do that...hehehehe...

The BCS is BS though. Its still not a perfect system. There needs to be a true playoff. Div. III has it and every other college sport.

I disagree the BCS has been fair. Just 2 seasons ago there was a split national champion because the rankings got it wrong. When you pit #3 against #1 (which sometimes happens), then #2 is screwed no matter what. There's no chance to prove things on the field. And it is wrong for a team with an unbeaten record not to have the chance to prove they are the best on the field. A playoff system is needed. Play games to prove #1 rather than computer rankings that seem to have changed every year because they fail to work right. Other NCAA sports have a play off and even other division of NCAAF so not really such a strange concept. I think fans want to see it and it is more fair.

One possible outcome I wonder about this year is if OSU v Mich are unbeaten when they meet on the final game and it's a close game they may still remain #1 and #2 and so the BCS title will be a replay. That would be disappointing to be denied seeing other tough matchups. I'd much rather see a top 16 playoff.

I have a friend who is writing an article about how ridiculous the BCS system is. I am just getting more into NCAA football and I didn't realize how fucked up the current system is. Just look at the bowl dates and the teams involved. The combinations and possibilities for the bowl lineups is unreal. The fans want to see real competition and it needs to be a playoff format. No wonder why March madness now seems to dominate the NCAA sports season.

" I'd much rather see a top 16 playoff. "

Will never happen. College is more about acedemics than sports. Semesters start soon after new years. 16 to 8 , 8 to 4 , 4 to 2 and then 1 against 2. That's 4 games that students school schedule is not accodated for. How do they plan for hotels and travel money , all the while missing class time.

Sure we would all like to see a playoff schedule , but for college it will never happen for football.

Basketball does the 4 team format regionally , usually around the easter holiday , football would be a 2 team format and extend the season another 4 weeks. These are 18-22 year old kids , would have to be exausted by then for the starters.

Love it or hate it , it is just the way it is and will always be. Besides , they have computers now to figure it all out... :cool:

Bada :tophat: Bing

I totally disagree.

Classes missed? No. Keep todays model. Games are played Saturdays or holidays.

Takes longer? No. The last game of the regular season is Dec 2. The BCS championship is Jan 8. That is 5 weeks of post season teams must continue to train under the BCS system. That is enough time for a 32 game playoff (though I think 16 would be adequate to assure all unbeaten teams are included).

Travel money? No. Teams get paid big time to be in the bowls! It's not just prestige, it's big money.

Exhausting? No. They have the same one week layover between games as the regular season. That is all you need.

Playoffs are proven to work in college football. Lower divisions are doing it already.

We are approaching that point of the season the BCS officials are praying for the unbeaten teams to lose so they and their computers don't look stupid (again).

Your missing the point dude , where do the students get the money to travel to which city next ? how do they know where they are going ? sure the teams can fly where everywhere , how do the students book rooms here and there each week ? book hotels that are already reserved ?Colleges pays for the players , isn't it about the students ?

Division 1A and 2A are thru before new years , without a moments notice with a few hundred bucks , you can afford to fly and stay in overinflated hotel rooms week to week ?

give up weeks of classes ? and pay for tickets ?

One shot deal , go and have fun for a few days !

Bada :cool: Bing

The team take care of that already. The players don't need to do anything or pay anything to go to a game.

No need to miss a single class. Fly out friday night, fly back saturday. done. Just like the regular season.

A 16 team playoff would be finished by new years since the season ends Dec 2!

9th: 8 games

16th: quarters

23rd: semis

30th: championship

As mentioned, college ball is big money in the post season. Getting there is like winning the lottery and the school gets giant cash payments for making it to ever bigger games.

I don't see any drawbacks. Also, the BCS has been told it must change its system because it is setup such that it favors the big conferences and is unfair to smaller ones.

Your thought process is flawless and I fully agree. But what you fail to omit is , how do the students get the $$ to attend the 4 games that the 2 winners will eventually get to ? Factor in travel , hotel , tickets and spending money and on top of this all during the christmas holidays.

The alumni / kids fly into cities for a week of partying and sight seeing. Now your going to ask them to fly in friday night and leave saturday night ? Aside from El Paso , I need time to party for a week. :cool:

Then don't forget the NCAA selling advertisement time. Especially during the 2 weeks leading up to christmas. To the NCAA it's all about money , they can sell more time from Jan 01-04 for 4 games than they sell all year.

I agree with you about the playoff , but i just don't see it happening.

Bada :spin: Bing

Archived