Internet Phone?

stumpy

SD,

I tried Net2phone's program once, and only once.

It was allegedly free, but once you count the charge for the program, I made one very expensive call.

I called a friend in another state and the reception was unbelievably terrible.

I could barely hear him through the static and he was almost unable to hear me.

Now, he was speaking on his phone (good quality) and I was speaking through a mike designed for speach recognition (very good quality). It was simply a matter of the pipe the program used to route the call.

I've used MSN Messenger successfully from UK to Europe (computer to computer) and UK to America (computer to phone). There is a delay but it is nevertheless possible to communicate. However, never had any luck in getting it to work further afield, perhaps others have been more successful?

Tried Net2Phone like two years ago when KSC didn't allow connections to Net2Phone's servers in US. Said it was against Thai Law! Inet Thailand and Loxinfo didn't have that problem though ... Worked OK, but changed when they decided to stop accepting VISA debit cards. Been using the services of IConnectHERE.com (formerly D3Phone) for over a year, and usually I get a decent line (PC to Phone). Not as good as a normal phone call, but acceptable ... Depends somewhat of what speed you can connect at, what ISP you're using, and the time of the day. Also, the service has improved dramatically in the last two years. And $0.08/min to most of Europe is pretty good smile.gif" border="0

I've both TA and TOT direct lines (dial-up connection speed 50-53K), and switching between Inet, Loxinfo, KSC and Samart.

Have a look at netphonecard.com, it's not actually internet phone but it dials both numbers for you over the internet. It's difficult to explain, but it works well and is very cheap.

quote:

Originally posted by stump_dog:

Anyone use this service? Anygood and can anyone suggest a url.

Thanks!

Suggest you take a look at DialPad, http://www.dialpad.com/ The quality in the US PC to phone is about like a cell call. Unlike some of the others there is no time limit. They also have an international feature described on their site.

• 6 months later...

I have tried Dialpad with mixed results. It seems to work quite well to fixed phones in the US/Europe. Calling cell phones in LOS? No way! sucks! Fixed LOS phones not much better in my experience. Calls get disconnected all the time, voice does not come over as clearly.

Archived