any other good thai books?

belfastish

Here are some more Thai-themed books I've read recently that I can recommend.

1. At The Bamboo Bar - Morgan McFinn

A great book, well written, and possibly one of the funniest I have read with a Thailand theme. I highly recommend this one. ISBN 974-8303-69-7 It can be bought through DCO Thai Books here: http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=102

2. I Walked Away - Michael Ziesing

Another good one that friends of mine also enjoyed and though well of. Interesting insights and tidbits of info about chucking it all and going to live in Thailand. ISBN 1-55950-139-1 Amazon Books has it here: http://www.amazon.com/Walked-Away-Expatriates-Cheaply-Thailand/dp/1559501391

3. More Thai Ways - Denis Segaller

Excellent book on Thai ceremonies, festivals, customs and beliefs. Much good info and insights into Thais and Thailand here. A sequel to the best-selling 'Thai Way'. The book is a collection of the author's column in the former Bangkok World. I can recommend this one highly. ISBN 974-202-034-5 Can be found on DCO Thai Books here: http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=49

4. Wondering into Thai Culture - Mont Redmond

One of the best and most insightful books on Thai culture and people I have ever read. It covers many aspects of Thai culture and is very well written and researched. I learned a lot from this book and agreed with much that I have seen myself. One of the best out there. ISBN 974-86270-4-7 Can also be found at DCO Thai Books here: http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=165

5. Bangkok Babylon - Jerry Hopkins A compilation of real life exploits of many famous and infamous Bangkok expatriates. Hopkins wrote the #1 New York Times bestseller 'No One Gets Out of Here Alive' a biography on Jim Morrison, and, 'Elvis: A Biography'. There are many interesting stories and tidbits about well known expats. Even hits on Trink a bit. I liked it and recommend it. ISBN 0-7946-0224-X And another that can be found at DCO Thai Books here: http://www.dcothai.com/product_info.php?products_id=608

Enjoy,

Cent

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cent,

did you read either "bangkok tattoo" or "Bangkok 8" by John Burdett? I thought they were very good, but see a lot of mixed reviews. I really loved the way the characters were drawn and especially the lead character was well rounded IMO. Didn't care so much for the unbelievable plot in the end, but that didn't spoil the experience for me, because the ride was so good.

I also recommend Bangkok 8 (though the second one was a letdown - start with the first). For books from a different era/perspective, I recommend Letters from Thailand, about a Chinese immigrant in Bangkok, and Teachers of Mad Dog Swamp (not great, but at least a different view). There's a story I liked, translated into English as Ai-Fak or The Judgment, that was recently made into a movie - the original story by Chart Kobjitti is worth reading, though harsh on Thai society.

Songmak,

Read and liked Bangkok 8, a lot. Different, yet many complained that is was very cliched. I thought the 'cliches' were well used, even though cliches. :smirk: (If that is possible.) I also liked the main character and thought the plot was good and active, and the characters were well drawn and believable. I haven't read Bangkok Tattoo yet.

Cent

<< 3. More Thai Ways - Denis Segaller >>

Actually, the first volume -- "Thai Ways" -- is better as an introduction to Thai customs. Denis also did a third in the series, but I can't think of the name off hand. (I think it was done for Thai International.)

He did his Thai Ways column for ten years, then sensibly quit when he ran out of things to say. We lost him earlier this year at the age of 91. Helluva nice fella.

Just read in the Bangkok Post magazine about a Thai writer called "Rong Wong-savun".

Quote "There are two topics dear to Rong, which inspire his writing. One is the plight of the wayward youth . . . The other topic is prostitution - his overt style of writing about prostitutes, continues to draw criticism from conservatives. "I like to write about protitutes because I respect and value their contribution to society," 'Rong says. "Everyone has a role: the merchant, the policeman, the rice farmer and the sugar caen grower, just like prostitutes." 'Rong continues, "Those hi-society women with their diamonds and riches who marry for money, surely they're prostitutes too? But we look up to them. I write about the ones who suffer with blood, sweat, and tears to feed their families. They're doing it for their family. It's not something that they enjoy. It's so sad. My book, "Sanim Soi" is a tribute to those women.

Anyone know if their is a English version of this book, sounds great!

DOG

• 1 month later...

There is not much Thai fiction that has been translated into English, but the one that I really enjoyed is called Time in a bottle (the original name is Welaa nai kuat gaew). The story revolves around a group of Thammasat students during the last .. oops, make it next to the last, coup d'etat.

It reminded me of The Catcher in the Rye, of course, transposed into the parallel universe of Bangkok.

The English translation was published in hardback in the series called Thai Modern Classics. I am not sure if it is still in print.

Archived