any other good thai books?

belfastish

Cav,

A few months ago I got ahold of a bunch of Steven Leather's books at a used bookshop I use in Pattaya on Soi Bukhao, opposite the Siam Sawsdee Hotel on the other side of the road and up a few shopfronts-have the address here in a bok I am reading now-210/6 Soi Buakhao-good shop to check out if you are in the area (Swan Books-owned by an older British gentleman named David). Leather's 'Hard Landing' was very good, and 'Hungry Ghost' I really liked a lot. Was another now I can't remember the title of that was in a '2-for1' with Hungry Ghost that I also enjoyed. First one of his I ever read years ago was 'Tunnel Rats' and I've always liked that one, and actively look for his books when I am out and about in the book stores.

Cent

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LongGun,

I have a friend here in Surin who seems to have all the Thai related books, and I have recently read a few of them. The best one I feel so far has been Kampoon Boontawee's 'A Child of the Northeast'. This was an interesting book that showed a lot of the culture of the Northeast and the lives of the Isaan people from the thirties. It was a touching story of young Koon and his family and showed how marginal life can be in Isaan, and many of the things portrayed in the story still happen to this day in Isaan. Koon's village seems to me so much like my wife's village, although the wife's with modern vehicles and abundant motocykes. But I see people living much the same in parts of her village, but with electricity. I'd urge anyone wanting to get some insights on the Isaan people to read this book, and not only for that, but because it was a good read and story. Published by DK Book House. ISBN: 974-210-4298

Right now I am going through 'Hello My Big Big Honey' and am finding it very very hard to get through it. Boring really, the letters from the punters. Embarassing really and silly, but what does intrigue me are the comments they got from the bar girls themselves that are scattered through the book. And the Prologue by Dr. Yos Santasombat I found very interesting as well coming

I read Michael Shermmann's 'Lady of Isan' a few weeks back and thought it was pretty bad. I'd give it a miss. Not recommended.

Cent

Right now I am going through 'Hello My Big Big Honey' and am finding it very very hard to get through it. Boring really, the letters from the punters. Embarassing really and silly, but what does intrigue me are the comments they got from the bar girls themselves that are scattered through the book. And the Prologue by Dr. Yos Santasombat

Yes, that's about it. Thing is, it pretty much predated the internet forums so at the time it was quite an eye-opener to see how people got sucked in and scammed.

The authors/editors must have done very well out of this considering how long it has been on the shelves and how little they had to write themselves! BTW I still hold them responsible for the Metro/asfo scandal of the mid-90s!

Is DK Book House still around? It's Duang Kamol, owned by a German educated Thai. I used to buy books from the shop in Siam Square all the time back in the 1970s and '80s. But I thought the company had gone out of business.

The owner was also responsible a few years ago for setting up DK Editions to publish new authors' work at a reasonable price, I think intended mainly for Thai authors to have translated works published. However, David Young was the first beneficiary, IIRC, when they published his excellent first novel 'The Scribe'. Really well-produced, edited, proofread (C G Moore, please note) and it hit the shelves for less than half of the standard price, around 160 baht I think, which obviously encouraged people to take a chance on an unknown author. It certainly worked for Young!

Archived