Vientiane

jack_schist

Depends on you. It is a quiet little city with unbelievably clean air and everything looks so green compared to Bangkok. Just a small nightlife scene, but some very good looking wimmen!

With an expat salary, you could live like a king. It's just across the river from Nong Khai and a half an hour or so from Udorn. Less than a one hour flight to Bangkok. If you got bored, you could always fly down to Bangkok for a weekend.

Personally, I'd jump at the job. But that's me. I like things quiet and I can get along well enough in Lao. Some people would go stir crazy without the go-go bar scene. But I've been here so long the go-go bars bore the sh*t out of me!

Have been to Vientiane numerous times but think I would be bored to death to live there. The pace is slow, the things to do more limited, nightlife small and restricted. They have a law making it illegal to have sex with foreigners and have had some ridiculous and strict closing times like 11pm in recent years. Cosmetically, I find the city to be dusty and too many open sewers. The appearance is similar to smaller Thai cities and I didn't find it green myself. If you like doing your shopping in the weekend market, you'll like it. If you like modern indoor shopping malls, nothing at all. Not even so much as a chain restaurant like McDonalds to be found anywhere. Some of these some would consider a good thing, some not. Laos people are decent, but more reserved and not so outwardly wanting to chat with you as Thai's. Bier Laos is excellent and cheap. Food very good and if you like Isaan food you will love it. Just my experiences.

I agree with Neo...

Been there about 6 times, for short stays between 3 and 10 days. Visa runs, and the girlfriend, is Lao.

It's a nice place to visit, but I would not want to live there.

The town is dirty and dusty, the last time I was there, the main street was dirt, being redone. Normally no traffic, with open sewers and broken streets. Never a traffic jam, its a small town, really.

Get outside, the main area, and the poverty, really shows, sewers just open pits. Get away from the city, and you'll see some beautiful countryside.

Got say however, the people are REALLY NICE, and happy to see you, as if you were a rock star. Especially in the countryside, at a bar/resturant, strangers buy you a drink. If there is a crowd, I guarantee they will buy, ffaster than you can drink'em. Then come over to the table, to say hello. My experience several times anyway.

I would be crazy, after a month there. I do not need lots of nite life, but I need a little bit more of the western world, and food, from time to time.

The local food is good, but I have real issues with preparation. For good reason, I got stomach sick and the shits, 3 times, while being careful what I eat.

Bottm line, it depends on you.

Thanks chaps for your replies. The past 7 months i have spent living and working in a real shithole in the desert so i guess i can't be too picky. I hand my resignation in here on Wednesday and have signed up with another company with interests in Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Philapines and China. Although i will still be based in Australia this company has an active international transfer policy.

Wish me luck, cause i am grabbing this one in a headlock and not letting it get away. I just hope i don't end up living in shack with a necklace made of ears. But seriously as i will be getting extended periods of leave i guess would enjoy riding a bike around the region during my breaks and seeing what's going on.

Good luck, I lived in Vientiane for a while and loved it. The Lao are great and soon become good friends if your not too stand offish. Sure it's a bit dusty in the dry season. Most of the dust and smoke blows over from Thailand anyway. I gave it away as it got too hard living there on a tourist visa and I took up with Chiang Rai girl anyway.

I wrote about my time there for Thailandstories .com.

http://www.thailandstories.com/article/non-fiction/river-of-dreams.html

jack grab the chance while you can - its much better than any 'alternative' bkk city like sillypore, hong kong etc. where you might quick end up wishing for home.

Vientienne is at least the main city of Laos & immediately cross the mkong from LOS so you're very close to BKK & isaan :hubba:

There's good supply of euro/french food/wines etc. as well as of course the isaan/lao dishes ;)

have fun

How long can a Thai lass get a visa for to stay in Laos? Might be an idea if the Laos are a bit antsy about this 'foreigner with Lao lady a no-no' type of stuff. Invite a Thai lady up for a visit each month for a long stay? Make arrangements for your costs if it isn't a GF type of situation? Shouldn't be hard to do, that, and getting tourist visas from the Embassy in Veintaine maybe to visit in the LOS. Could be a way to go and a great time. Are you getting the whole expat package where they'll pay for your digs and such? If so, sounds like a good deal really.

Cent

I had thought of the take away thai girl senario. But at this stage the Lao option was only mooted at my interview as they had no luck finding candiates for their asian ops. So its still a way off. many of the management i will be working with however have just returned from asian ops though so we had plenty to talk about. Packages are full expat deals with lao tax rates and not a bad lurk.

Archived